Time To "Bitch-slap Israel"?

Hugh_Hoy

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there is a historical record of the 1st century.

the only historian of the era to have reputedly [color:red]mentioned jesus was Josephus[/color]Josephus is universally discounted (outside the evangelical home schooled bunch) ..

seems there was some christian rewriting of josephus in the 200AD - 300AD time frame

I do subscribe to Bocephus!

seems some cat with a gang wandering the region doing magic tricks would have been noticed .. or at least mounds of petrified bread crumbs & fish bones.

was the infamous fish served as sushi or was it breaded & fried evangelical style?

Flash is striving to be a re-writer in the 21st century problem is there is an established historical record (except for the home schooled) for him to discount

Flash is normally a rational chap .. except for mythology related vietnam & the bible.

& Texas is now striving to make the entire state home schooled, perhaps Flash would enjoy teaching with those of his his ilk

i have nothing against jews

however, I despise the concept of zionism & zionism in general (evangelicals, too)

jews are more likely to support zionism, it is the jewish state

not all jews are zionist

not all israelis are zionists

when subscribers to mythical beliefs strive to start wars based on ancient mythology the myths must be discounted

perhaps a more appropriate question for flash: are you a zionsit? (the answer is obviously "yes")

the evangelical obsession with rapture is in the new testament & is a scary concept to many of the chosen .. advocates of the old testament not new

israelites came out of egypt deep into the BC era.

god made man in his image: how dopey is that .. so god is a 5'2" egyptian arab? .. (people were shorter in 01AD)

I wonder how many of god's chosen are 5'2" arabs or are mitochondrial DNA decedents of 5'2" arabs?

Most authorities claim that translations of Josephus' works that mention Jesus are a clever forgery.

<< note: there is no historical record of david or jesus .. >>

What historical records are there of very many folks from a few thousand years ago? And who decides what constitutes "historical"?

There are even fewer non-Islamic references to Muhammad than there are non-Christian references to Jesus. Guess Mo mustn't have existed either. :hmmm:

:stirthepo

[color:red]There are documents written by Muhammad that still exist today![/color] No accounts of Jesus exist until well after his death! No writings by Jesus' date=' a supposedly bright student. [/quote']

Hate to tell you this, but MUHAMMAD WAS ILLITERATE! He wrote nothing. He even says so in the Qu'ran. :beer:

<<Sources for Muhammad's life

Muslims regard the Qur'an as the primary source of knowledge about the historical Muhammad. The Qur'an has a few allusions to Muhammad's life. The Qur'an responds "constantly and often candidly to Muhammad's changing historical circumstances and contains a wealth of hidden data."

[color:red]Next in importance are the historical works by writers of the third and fourth century of the Muslim era.[/color]

[color:red]The earliest surviving written sira (biographies of Muhammad and quotes attributed to him) is Ibn Ishaq's Life of God's Messenger written ca. 767 (150 AH).[/color] The work is lost, but was used verbatim at great length by Ibn Hisham and Al-Tabari. (Muhammad died on June 8, [color:red]632[/color]. 145 years ealier.) >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophet_Muhammad

<< Most authorities claim that translations of Josephus' works that mention Jesus are a clever forgery. >>

They do not! What they claim is that the favourable comments about Jesus are later Christian additions. Josephus obviously did not consider Jesus very important:

<< [color:red]Recent scholarly discussion has favoured partial authenticity[/color] of the Testimonium Flavianum. Louis Feldman counts 87 articles published during the period of 1937-1980, "the overwhelming majority of which question its authenticity in whole or in part".

[color:red]Géza Vermes offers a speculative reconstruction of the original text of the Testimonium Flavianum, removing later Christian interpolations, indicating deletions with '...'[/color]:

[color:blue]About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man... For he was one who performed paradoxical deeds and was the teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews [and many Greeks?]. He was [called] the Christ. When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing among us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him... And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared.[/color] >>

p.s. << so god is a 5'2" egyptian arab? .. (people were shorter in 01AD)

I wonder how many of god's chosen are 5'2" arabs or are mitochondrial DNA decedents of 5'2" arabs? >>

Since when have Egyptians been Arabs? African-Americans speak English today, so that means they are Europeans? :hmmm:

And average height around 1 AD was 170 cm / 5'7"

http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/uni/wwl/koepke_baten_twomillennia.pdf

:beer:

<< Most authorities claim that translations of Josephus' works that mention Jesus are a clever forgery. >>

They do not! [color:red]What they claim is that the favourable comments about Jesus are later Christian additions.[/color] Josephus obviously considered Jesus simply a rebel and apparently not very important:

<< [color:red]Recent scholarly discussion has favoured partial authenticity[/color] of the Testimonium Flavianum. Louis Feldman counts 87 articles published during the period of 1937-1980, "the overwhelming majority of which question its authenticity in whole or in part".

[color:red]Géza Vermes offers a speculative reconstruction of the original text of the Testimonium Flavianum, removing later Christian interpolations, indicating deletions with '...'[/color]:

[color:blue]About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man... For he was one who performed paradoxical deeds and was the teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews [and many Greeks?]. He was [called] the Christ. When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing among us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him... And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared.[/color] >>

...... [color:red]

favourable comments about Jesus are later Christian additions
[/color] generally is translated to mean that part of the document that contains the 'addition' to be a forgery.

Josephus was a cool guy. When the Roman soldiers surrounded the city he was in (66 A.D.), each Jew drew straws to see who would kill who. When it came down to only Josephus and another guy as the only ones left, the two gentlemen decided to call the suicide thing off. I suspect Josephus and the other guy where really good cheats.

Josephus went on to witness the destruction of the temple (70 A.D.) and the last Jewish stronghold, Maceda (73 A.D.).

I hate to try to get this thread back on track.

Apologies, if required. :content:

It really pissed me off that the Israeli Gov't. would pronouce it's intentions in a way that was a direct slap in the face...why couldn't they merely "moon" Biden at dinner and then fart in his face.

Then, today, Netanyahu announces that the Government will continue building settlements. Understandably, the Palestinians responded to declining to engage in more "talks." The Isreali government is sd stubborn and manipulative as that of North Korea.

From the AP today: [color:red]"Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Monday settlement building in east Jerusalem would continue, in a move likely to further heighten tensions with key ally the United States.

Western-backed Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas responded by saying he would not return to peace talks without a complete settlements freeze."[/color]

If I were in charge in the U.S. (ie., President), I wouldn't use one more gallon of jet fuel paid for by U.S. taxpayers to travel (or send another representative) to the Middle East on this issue. And I certainly wouldn't be signing any more "aid" checks to Israel. It has been shown that Israel doesn't need the money when it can build settlements. For all I care, they can live in bunk beds if there is a shortage of housing.

Now, could somebody PLEASE tell me WHY the U.S. has any special interests in protecting/aidding Israel? Can anybody inform me what the obligation of the U.S. is? (My good Senators Boxer and Feinstein have ignored my email and snail mail requesting this information; no surprise.)

HH

Archived