We didn’t have to wait long for Israel’s latest outrage

robaus

"Israel will use more aggressive force in the future to prevent ships from breaking the sea blockade on the Gaza Strip, a top Navy commander told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday.

"We boarded the ship and were attacked as if it was a war," the officer said. "That will mean that we will have to come prepared in the future as if it was a war."

http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Article.aspx?id=177134

The arrogance is unreal!!

If Turkey is a NATO country and a ship is attacked everyone it is an attack on everyone, right?

The Palestinians should just starve themselves and let the Israeli settlers can move in, for world peace.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

drogon,

>>Hey Einstein! (Oups sorry, he was Jew, did I offend you), throw a rope around the propeller...

any other bright ideas like this?

....Don't give up the day job, mate, for a career in the military.

Despite your hysterical desperado playing of the tired old anti Semitic card, it looks like the might of Israel's special forces are after all capable halting an unarmed merchant ship without loss of life, exactly as I suggested in my OP. Retired IDF Brigadier General and senior research associate at the Institute for National Security Studies, Shlomo Brom seems to think so anyway.

"Israeli military analysts said it was a mistake to send commandos to board the ship and the military could have used non-lethal weapons such as tear gas. They also said the intelligence-gathering was faulty.

Retired general Shlomo Brom asked why the ships' engines weren't sabotaged instead.

"There were certain objectives to this operation. One was not to let the vessels get to Gaza, but the other objective was to do it without any damage to Israel's image," Brom told The Associated Press. "Certainly it failed.""

Source

:beer:

From the Jerusalem Post, so view it with as much suspicion as you would news on Al Jazerra, but ...

<< Dozens of passengers who were aboard the Mavi Marmara Turkish passenger ship are suspected of having connections with global jihad-affiliated terrorist organizations, defense officials said on Tuesday, amid growing concerns that Turkish warships would accompany a future flotilla to the Gaza Strip.

According to the defense officials, the IDF has identified about 50 passengers on the ship who could have terrorist connections with global jihad-affiliated groups.

During its searches of the Mavi Marmara on Tuesday, the military also discovered a cache of bulletproof vests and night-vision goggles, as well as gas masks. On Monday morning, at least nine foreign activists were killed during the navy’s takeover of the Mavi Marmara, which was trying to break Israel’s blockade of the Gaza Strip.

The group of over 50 passengers with possible terror connections have refused to identify themselves and were not carrying passports. Many of them were carrying envelopes packed with thousands of dollars in cash.

The military is working to identify the passengers and is looking into the possibility that some of them have been involved in terror attacks. Some of them are apparently known Islamic extremists.

“This is the group that was behind the violent lynch against the naval commandos,†a defense official said. “They came on board the ship prepared and after they had trained for the expected navy takeover. >>

http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Article.aspx?id=177169

Assuming of course that 1 side is 100% factual/right, which is seldom the case. The bigger issue is, did IDF have the right to board the ship in the first place? and I mean by international law, Not IDF's perspective, or that of the Israel can do no wrong brigade. My personal feeling here is you can't trust either side to tell you 100% of the truth, same with the recent events in BKK since you want to drag that up again.

Idea: let's not assume anything, but just look at the video.

I'm not assuming either side is 100% correct. As usual with this situation, it's a mess.

It think it would be obvious to anyone who sees the videos that the explanation by at least some protestors now that they did not attack the soldiers, did not have weapons, is 100% horse shit.

2 videos I just came across:

shows soldier being stabbed by a protestor

this one shows clear violence on part of protestors, and I don't think any reasonable person can look at that video and claim this is a peaceful group of protestors, or that the soldiers were the ones doing the attacking.

there's more videos like these

OH, please do look at the videos and give your honest take on what you see.

That's what I just did.

The best solution seems to me to be for the surroundig countries like Syria and Lebanon to either accept them (assuming the Palestinians would accept this...a big ask) or give up parts of their territory to form a new country for the Palestinians.

I think if level heads ever prevail in this region, it probably would be some kind of land in exchange for peace. But honestly, I think racial hate is so ingrained in the culture in that region that it's near hopeless for it to ever reach that point, not in our lifetimes at least. Just too many macho knobs, too much hate preaching, and too many people with much to gain by stirring up trouble.

No, I don't give much credence to unidentified IDF spokespersons in the Jerusalem Post, but you seem to.

>>are suspected of having connections with global jihad-affiliated terrorist organizations

... what's the collective noun for a group of weasel words.... :hmmm: a "vaguery" ... a "muddying"? Sounds like Cat Stevens' backing group... they reckon he's a terrorist too. Drogon thinks anyone who expreses an opinion against Israel is a terrorist.

>>bulletproof vests

.. if its true, it's a pity the 9 murdered by Israel's finest weren't wearing them.

I had a friend from Jerusalem - 3rd generation Sabra - who told me he grew up with Palestinian classmates. They used to visit each other's homes and go out together. They supplied him with hashish and he supplied their booze. He said though the Israeli and Palestinian leaders fought, the people got along with each other. But he added that nowadays the hatred had spread down to the ordinary folks. He felt the he only thing to do was separate them. :(

>>So I'm trying to figure out how this video fits in with that story:

... because Israel has not released the full unedited video showing the beginning of the operation. For propaganda purposes they have cherrypicked the bits that suit their version. :spin:

The resistance all came as a complete surprise to the Israeli thugs, who boarded an international boat in international waters. :wanker:

Picture the scene... drones providing constant streaming video of the ships' certainly activities were, plus some signal tapping, possibly even Mossad agents planted amongst the activists - they'd be daft not to have at least one.

The Israelis arrived at 10 pm in boats and issued warnings to turn back. Pretty obvious that something was going to go down soon. Then 6 hours later Israel's elite? special stealth :rotl: forces arrived in loud helicopters, landed like pirates on deck but were in fear of their lives because they couldn't get their large asbestos rapelling gloves off in time to handle their weapons... sounds like a scene from Monty Python.. but even John Cleese would have rehearsed the scene! Israel claims it never expected any resistance. It was like sending a dozen policemen in Manchester Utd shirts to control a group of 600 Chelsea fans.

That's why I don't buy it.

Despite all the international huffing and puffing, Netanyahu has got what he wanted: the peace talks are off indefinitely. Now all he needs is another intifada to provide some good footage on Fox Noise. AIPAC can put in a spot of lobbying, and its bye bye Obama.

Maybe the Israelis have underestimated world reaction though. Time will tell.

Archived