We didn’t have to wait long for Israel’s latest outrage

robaus

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so who are the other Jews here...?

Somehow I missed this huge post til just now.

Me, nope. Born Catholic, but I'm not religious. Not a believer, basically. Have had good friends who were Jewish, one uncle who was Muslim. One close cousin who's Catholic but has the Muslim name thanks to his dad. ( I had no idea about your religion/ethnicity... or most others here. Tend to forget, except for obvious cases like BelgianBoy)

Think I'm a bit more understanding of Israel's positions in these things than you are. There's no arguing that they defy intl law frequently. But they tend to find them in the position to need to more than any other country (raid on Entebbe, for example).

Guess what I find irritating is that it always has to get polemicized -- nobody seems to be able to discuss the nuances of the situation, the give and take. So yeah, dubious of Israel to handle this raid the way they did -- boneheaded even. Illegal. OK. Yep. But the ones who'd want to focus on that can't admit that there were some on board at least (and it looks like a lot!) being anything other than peaceful.

Ah by the way, was just reading on BBC, eyewitness account by a guy who was on the protest ship, Scottish but with a Middle Eastern sounding name (anyone see this story?) and he confirms being shot in the leg and the back with ... PAINTBALL PELLETS. Wtf? (I have to laugh, cuz there's some guy in the Israeli military hierarchy who put this forward as a good idea... and I just wonder what that guy's doing right about now)

Anyway, there's a lot to this story we don't know yet, so its dumb to draw final conclusions now. I'm just saying what I think based only on the video. To me it sure doesn't look like the soldiers came down firing live ammo from the get-go. It looks like they were getting attacked while still no the ropes.

Some tend to forget what the country of Kuwait did with the Palestinins. After Sadam invaded.

Many - a large number - lived and worked in Kuwait.

Well, these freakin' idiots cheered Sadam's troops as they invaded Kuwait.

And the Emir - threw the whole bunch out. Sent all back to Palestine. Are those residents considered "refugees" too?

hear hear, Oh

It was only from recently viewing the BBC series “Who do you think you are?†that David Suchet or Stephen Fry’s (can’t remember which) possibly answered a conundrum in my family tree.

Their Jewish forebears had fled pogroms in Russia and the Baltic states around about the 1880s/90s. My great great great great?? grandfather was a Scottish engineer who had something to do with the Trans Siberian railway construction and married a wealthy (well, she had monogrammed silverware my father told me) woman born in an area that is now Latvia. It’s possible that she was Jewish and was using any means to escape Russia. I’ll get more details from my uncle’s family later this year.

If she turned out to be Jewish, I would be absolutely delighted to celebrate the richness of my ancestry… along with English, Scottish and Irish.

Obviously there’s a difference between knowing your ancestry and guessing at it, but like OH, it doesn’t alter my feelings about the unjust treatment of Palestinians by Zionists. Nor would I expect it to be an excuse for avoiding criticism of my opinions.

:beer:

PS brought up as a Methodist, but now a confirmed atheist and far from tea total

If Israel has nothing to hide, why haven't they released the whole unedited video?

David Horowitz, editor of the Jerusalem Post, was just asked the same question a few minutes ago on Al Jazeera. He said he didn't know why.

I wonder if Israel will allow a transparent inquiry access to all the other footage filmed by journalists that has been confiscated?

Archived