Obama Plans to Cut Social Security Next

cavanami

I hear all these people cry that we should be responsible for our selves and plan for our own futures. But how can we do that when the powers that be allow pensions to default, and then they keep changing all the rules?

My "contract" with SSI says I can start collecting at age 621/2, with a certain benifit. I do not think they should be allowed to change that when I am a few years out, and then maybe change it again later, simply because THEY fucked up with the money.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Social Security Reform, 1983

Regan was US Prez in 1983.

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Social_Security_in_the_USA#Social_Security_Reform.2C_1983

Mounting concerns that rising Social Security benefits were causing a long-term deficit and were growing too fast [color:red]resulted in a bipartisan compromise in 1983[/color]. Brokered by conservative economist [color:red]Alan Greenspan and liberal Congressman Claude Pepper[/color], the agreement [color:red]lowered benefits over the next 75 years[/color] and brought the system into balance. Key provisions included a [color:red]gradual increase over 25 years in the retirement age from 65 to 67[/color], to take account of longer life expectancy. (People could retire younger, but at a reduced rate of benefits.) Workers over the age of 62 can still retire with some benefits, but the amounts are reduced for those retiring before the full retirement age is reached. Millions of people were added to the system, especially employees of state governments and of nonprofit organizations.[1]

No different than auto insurance. Every state requires that, too.

And you are a bright enough guy (unlike some here) to understand insurance literally means "spreading the risk" and that the pool has to be full to include the less desirable customers. Which is what this is all about, coverage for all Americans. We'll just conveniently ignore the fact that the insurance mandate thing was a GOP idea that the Dems necessarily picked up after universal coverage was given away to appease said GOPers.

I have not heard Obama come out with a policy statement regarding citizenship (for or against an amnesty). Now protecting the 4th & 14th Amendments, he has made statements. As I would expect and want any POTUS to do. That's his sworn job.

Archived