How Do I Report Child Abuse???

You guys that were out in Vietnam at that time, I admire tremendously.

I'm British, 46, and never (thankfully) ever had to go off to a war. But I remain fascinated by the conflicts in Vietnam and the history that led to them.

In 2003 I accompanied a friend to Vietnam who had a formal academic interest in those conflicts. I'd just seen a couple of films, a few documentaries and had a few vague memories of this place called 'Vietnam' being the lead news on the TV when I was a nipper.

Khe Sanh was a strange place on that trip, I don't know how else to describe it.

If somebody volunteers any account of their time there then I'm an eager listener - and I've developed a pretty good radar for those who...how to put it...are perhaps not quite all they initially seem. It's something I get used to in living in Thailand as I'm sure you'll appreciate!

Today I came across some old footage (on YouTube) of U-Tapao and its B52s. Eerie really, as I pass by the end of the runway quite regularly and it always gets me thinking of its history, but still, compelling stuff.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
BTW, Update, Boner apparently never called the contact I gave him.

AT least you did try to help. now let me call the original poster on the floor and ask why he did not follow through, after asking for, and getting, help here...well we are waiting...?

I had some friends who were in the USMC at Khe Sanh. For some bizarre reason, the Marines didn't dig in there. (In the Army we had slit trenches all over the fire base that we could dive into in a hurry.) One close friend told me they had overhead cover at Khe Sanh instead. When the mortar rounds starting coming in, they'd crawl under that reinforced cover. Now that has the advantage that you don't have to worry about a mortar round landing in the foxhole and taking you all out, but the disadvantage is that rounds impacting near by blow shrapnel right under that overhead cover. Andy told me you'd crawl in and kept your legs together so you didn't have to worry about getting your gonads blown away. He did get shrapnel in his legs and a free trip to back to a hospital. Turned out he was very lucky though, since the rest of his squad got blown away by "friendly" artillery fire while he was gone!

I never was crazy about the artillery myself. I once counted up something over 50 GIs that I knew of being killed by our own artillery west of An Khe. All it took was for one observor to misidentify a friendly unit as hostile and call for a fire mission. :p

Here's where I had most of my own excitement:

http://www.daktoreunion.com/Siege_of_Dak_To_1969.php

My wife's brother is a high ranking cop in Thailand. Even in the presence of her brother, my wife has had to take things in her own hands and Thai kick box a few younger relatives so they would see things in a proper way.

In Thailand, the little shits get the crap beaten out of them. That is why they behave better then there counterparts in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived