How Do I Report Child Abuse???

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stayed away from this thread cuz I wasn't sure how I felt. I still really don't but will just add my experiences.

As a child, my biological father beat my mother. I was never abused in the sense that I had broken bones or open cuts but I was spanked with hands, belts and wooden spoons. This was normal to me.

When I became a parent and the kids grew a bit older, I didn't know how to handle discipline other than what my experiences were so they received swats on the ass. Everytime I did this, it just didn't seem to be the right thing to do and I always, everytime, felt horrible about doing it.

I have long since stopped, not only cuz the kids are now 12 and 9 but because I think it's wrong to do. There are other ways of handling things than hitting kids. Is it technically abuse? I truly don't know as I don't know the statutes but I feel it's wrong to hit a child who has only love for me and no defense other than tears.

Guest lazyphil

my god, hitting anyone one in the face is wrong, and children?.....yes its reportable abuse imho. once you've struck a child you've lost it, i mean lost any moral parental authority and most here know i'm not a wishy washy liberal :content:

i have never raised my hand to my daughter and why should i?....if anyone else did i'd whack them so what gives me the right to hit her just because i happen to be her dad?

report the bitch.

ps, my parents never struck me

OH - it obviously had a affect on me, one that I chose to rebel against, That's the whole point, people think their teaching something, the child especially if smart like you and me, decides, "you won't break me" and does the opposite, I knew then and now exactly what I was doing.

I also had a teacher who used to use dreadfully smart, extremely belittling comments when talking to students who did something wrong.

That to me was far worse than a spanking or caning.

I was caned semi-regularly, didn't bother me, I knew I dun wong, so accepted it.

I had one teacher who offered us a choice, miss lunch time playing time and write out 1000 words, or get canned, we always took the cane option, had time to play then!

I don't think there is black and white, though good for Phil and his family, (seriously)

At my daughter new school they had (in the past year, not now) the tradition of a long cane to smack kids with.

Only happened once, every teacher has had a specific instruction from me, along with examples of my thoughts on the matter of caning or threatening to cane my daughter, along with descriptions.

When asked after I left my daughter told them that yes I quite like punching brick walls and not to be scared of me because I do that.

Really, you should NOT be a teacher if you need to use a cane or psychologically damage a child in order to "teach".

I was lucky, I didn't grow up with violence, my father never spanked me, though we where scared he would! My mother spanked us sometimes, never to the point of level anything more than a tingle and a blush of being caught out.

Other kids may not be hurt, but see violence sadly, sometimes not even in their own family but others or elsewhere, that greatly hurts them. Devil Spawn has seen some extreme violence sadly, that I am very careful to get him over. It does leave a impression.

The Army doesn't teach you to punch with your fists; it teaches you to kill with your hands. I was seriously worried at first that I'd lose my temper and kill someone before I knew what was happening.

There was a feel good story in the local rag today. Off topic, but this thread has become discombobulated anyway.

Cop gets ambushed by a suspect (armed with a butter knife, it turns out), and cop is getting the worst of it. Four active service (3 marines and an army reserve) military hear a gunshot and come to the rescue and restrain* the assailant during a struggle for the gun and arrest him.

The lads were honored by the local police force today (the 3 marines weren't present, as they were on their way to Afghanistan).

Link

*Original link quoted the LBPD spokesman as saying the lads 'did not use LBPD approved methods in subduing the suspect.' You just know he had a big smile on his face when he said it. Too bad that comment was removed from the article, but I guess it was in everyones' best interest. :content:

Wow. Just read this thread. Processing.

OH, you are an interesting cat. I think you read the OP's description and envisioned a child being struck with considerable force, hence the strong reaction.

I think some of us were slapped by our mothers but there wasn't much behind it. More of a gesture of frustration of the parent than a violent strike that damaged the child. I don't know.

Unless there's a history here between you and Corinthian I'm not privy too, you did come off a bit hard on the guy. I didn't see his comments in any way as an endorsement of - or ignoring - abuse, but stressing that it was a serious thing and trying to put it in perspective.

Anyway, imho people that use harsh violence with children... that's about as genuinely fucked up as it gets. Let them be served their own medicine, or worse.

But a mother slapping a child -- that can mean a lot of different things across a broad spectrum. Obviously it was harsh enough to cause the poster concern, and for that I think he should report it.

And that's where I disagree with Corinthian, if you're in doubt dealing with shit like that, call it in. I don't believe you'll be sued into oblivion for a second.

Archived