How Do I Report Child Abuse???

And that's where I disagree with Corinthian, if you're in doubt dealing with shit like that, call it in. I don't believe you'll be sued into oblivion for a second.

In the US, in cases like this you are guilty by suspicion. That is, just the charge alone can ruin you. For example, were I to publicly say with name address ect that you are a child predator, even though I have never even met you and it is complete crap, people, esp parents, will never speak to you again. At best they will look at you in a new light.

In the US, we see it a lot in divorce cases. False accusations of child endangerment. It all IS supposed to be anonymous, but the problem is that can give a jealous neighbor or co-worker a horrible weapon. SO it is constantly under review.

Here in LOS, where everything is for sale from the cops, I would advise the OP to be very careful.

But of course, if the OP does think it abuse, tell everyone.

I asked around for him. The best advice is to call his embassy in BKK, they will have a security officer who has the Thai cops on speed dial.

Oh and OH just HATES cops. So if you are or ever have been one, he hates you on sight.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the US, in cases like this you are guilty by suspicion. That is, just the charge alone can ruin you. For example, were I to publicly say with name address ect that you are a child predator, even though I have never even met you and it is complete crap, people, esp parents, will never speak to you again. At best they will look at you in a new light.

Same as if your wife strikes you, then calls the cops and claims you attacked her first. You go directly to jail, questions asked later about why your head is bleeding from a frying pan blow. :susel:

As much as I like OH, he is painting law enforcement with too broad a brush. Sure we've all encountered assholes, and certainly many get hardened and insensitive to the public, especially in certain locales. How couldn't they?

I don't have a lot of cop friends, but I know a few younger guys who got cop jobs. One, in particular is a mellow guy, excellent golfer, who realized that the PGA Tour wasn't going to be his ticket to support his wife and kid. Worked his ass off bartending while applying for fireman or cop jobs. Finally got one as a cop and, know him or not, if I had to get pulled over I'd want it to be him because the guy has no chip on his shoulder.

Some people are just brought up to believe that, if you are physically able, lifeguard, fireman or cop are honorable professions. Same goes for the military (though many parents see that as a last resort). I'm talking out of my ass now, but I could claim that firefighters, cops (and to some extent, lifeguards and military recruits) are the same personality type. Cops are just the most easily corruptible and most visible. You can't work a beat without forming an attitude about the folks you encounter on a daily basis, any job, anywhere. :twocents:

I asked around for him. The best advice is to call his embassy in BKK, they will have a security officer who has the Thai cops on speed dial.

Follow up:

I have PM'ed the OP the name and address of the regional security officer on Wireless. He is in charge of child protection wing of the US mission and has the contacts in the Thai Police that deal with abuse.

When I lived in So Cal, we had a "disfunctional family" in the next block. They lived next door to one of my father's engineers at the Pacific Coast Missile Range. The guy's wife was a niece of John McCormack, Speaker of the US House of Representitives at the time. Connections didn't seem to matter though, when the nutty neighbour's daughter wandered into the house one day and saw the guy taking a piss in his own bathroom. She told her mother, who filed charges of exposing himself to her daughter. The engineer got arrested and had his name and "crime" on the front page of the papers. When it went to court, the judge promptly threw the case out. The poor guy still had that "pervert" tag stuck on him by the public though. You are very right about a charge being enough to ruin you. That did not do his security clearance any good.

p.s. The teenage son of that loony family later was arrested and put away as a juvenile offender when he raped a young girl on the elemetary school grounds.

Yeah, plenty of people hate cops. They're ALL bad, sure, they're ALL corrupt.. why not? Goes out the window when you need one though don't it.. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if we didn't need them.. Paradise.. unfortunately we do though don't we, and believe me, when you see a GOOD one doing his/her job well, it's inspiring, and relieving when they arrive when needed.

Besides that, without the cops I'd be out of work..

My mother's father - the big lug - was a special policeman in his free time. He'd be called up whenever the police were short-handed ... somebody sick or some big event going on. He used to take me to the police station with him now and then when I was 6 or 7 to visit his buddy, Chief Al Wolf. One of my earliest memories is my grandfather is of him sitting at home with his leg in a cast. Seems he and another officer when chasing a speeder, when a woman decided to run a stop sign. She broadsided the police car! I grew up thinking cops were good guys. I still do, by and large.

Yeah, I've met a few asshole cops in my life. The job does attract some of the wrong kind - as unfortunately does the military.

Yeah, I've met a few asshole cops in my life. The job does attract some of the wrong kind - as unfortunately does the military.

Anyone would be hard pressed to name a profession that does not have a few assholes in it.

Cops though get special repugnance, as they should, because there job it technically to protect you.

Archived