What's an American to do?

Night_Rider

Gee - what's the big deal, you getting a small fluctuation, Aussie Dollar/Brit/Euro most currencies have all traded far extremely more than the US$ which is SLOOOWWWLLLLLYYYYYYYY moving.

Aussie $ just 18 months ago was 25% lower, and you whining because US$ is what? 15% lower?

15%?????? I wish. In the past five years or so it has gone from a steady of around 40 baht to the buck to 30 and a bit under. More like 25% over the past few years. A big cut in spending power I'd say. Maybe 15% this year! 5555555. Either way, it sucks. Need a baht income these days. :-) Leave your dollars, pounds, and Euros at home. I do wish we had something close to the Aussies in interest rates paid on savings. 6% I was told. Not bad really compared to what the banks in the states will give you. Hell, even long term CDs are shit return these days.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find myself in a conundrum.

For the first time ever, family will be all over the world at Xmas time freeing the last two weeks of December for a 'fun' holiday instead of family time. A trip to LOS quickly sprang to mind.

However at the same time this is a traditionally expensive time of the year to travel to LOS. Most importantly with the Baht at 30 to the USD my buying power is undermined.

So I turn to the wisdom of the board. What would you do if you wanted a bit of mongering over the Xmas holiday and were price sensitive?

Angeles? Sihanoukville? Cuba?

Pattaya. Still good value I hear from friends down there and visiting there . Biggest cost is your airfare. Hotels are cheap, and many deals can be found in the bars still, so I am told by those recently there (last week).

But don't forget it was the Japanese who effectively killed the US auto industry....with some help from the unions.

U.S. Auto industry sorta killed it self, they made crap cars for awhile, and though patriotism and import tariffs would keep them going...when consumers had a choice, and gas prices went up, smaller cheaper better foreign cars became the norm...now it seems some U.S. auto manufacturers are starting to do things right...

Archived