What's an American to do?

Night_Rider

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My father was a union man in his younger, blue collar days. Essentially, the union screwed him when he went to university on the WWII GI Bill and then became an electronics engineer. They kept the thousands he'd paid into his retirement fund and more of less told him "tough shit". He'd also had some fun sitting it out with no income during a lengthy strike. He once said to me, "If the union is on strike, the negotiators' salary should be stopped for as long as it takes them to reach an agreement. Why should they be paid when nobody else is?"

Both of my grandfathers were strong union men - Brotherhood of Railroad Workers. I've always been more ambivalent, having seen some of the bad crap unions have cause along with the good.

e.g. The plumbers union once caused a major problem during the development of the Titan ICMs. The rocket engines were precision designed and came to the Pacific Coast Missile Range fully assembled. The plumbers union went on strike, demanding they be paid to disassemble the engines and then put them back together again! No doubt they would thoroughly fuck them up in the process too. The strike was ended when it was agreed to pay them for the time it would have taken to assemble them, if they had assembled them and had had any idea of what they were doing. WTF? Delays and expenses for nothing.

Archived