Pet Peeves in LOS

Dumsoda

I ordered a shrimp salad at Hemingway's (patong)

it was very good, but they cram it in small bowl, so it's a mess to eat.

next time I ordered the same salad I asked to have it in a larger bowl ( pho bowl)

the wait person said they would have to charge for larger salad.

so I got the small bowl, when served I asked for a pho bowl, and dumped the salad into it.

the servers face looked like I just reveled the secret of the universe.

few days later I ordered the shrimp salad agin, got it in the small bowl, and the pho bowl was brought without asking.

go figure the thai logic in that ?

I would ( seriously now) its the thai education system, stick to the rules and don't think of a better way.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a peeve and it's not the end of the world but..

There's an over-abundance of 'sales staff' in a lot of places. For example, 'Home Pro' in my town on any given day has about 4 customers wandering a million acres of store whilst being pursued by roaming gangs of sales assistants. Just stopping and looking at anything - anything - and you'll have the bleeding obvious told to you ("Yes, it's an oven. I can see that".)

I know they're just doing their job - it's the people further up, forcing them to hassle potential customers, that need to get a grip.

I went shopping for a nice big LCD TV and actually approached them. "I want to buy this, please" and then it's all embarrassed smiles because they don't have it in stock. This actually happened to me in one day at Tesco Lotus, Big C, Makro and Home Pro - over a range of TVs.

I gave up on them in the end and went to an independent hi-fi place. Same day delivery, set up (and excellent back up when the lightning zapped it!)

I was in a Bangkok luktung nightclub with a neighbour a few years back when he decided to order a ham and cheese sandwich. The waitress just stared at him uncomprehendingly. He explained several times and the waitress finally got a look in her eye. We noticed after going to the kitchen, she left the restaurant. She returned with a hamburger she'd bought at the 7-Eleven! :doah:

My neighbour wasn't having that, so he told the waitress to go with him. He took her back to the 7-Eleven and bought a loaf of bread, a package of cheese and some ham. Then he went into the kitchen and showed the cook how to make a ham and cheese sandwich.

I wonder if they still remember. :hmmm:

Yep, Frash... similar happened to me.

Really wanted a toasted ham and cheese sandwich one day. Found a place near Khao San Road where I was at the time and on the menu they had "ham, tomato and cheese toasted sandwich."

I asked if I could have ham and cheese and was told "no hab". (Big sigh).

I then asked for "ham, cheese and tomato but with no tomato" and after a 5 second pause with a look of sheer panic on the face of the dek serve she went and chatted with a colleague, returned and then she replied "can... but cost extra!"

:doah:

FARK piggie we eat at the same places! Same thing happened to me as DC mentions above, just un freaking possible!\

I've many times gone into kitchens to explain what I really want, amazing they usually quite like it, the novelty value and some people do like to learn.

It's not that they don't WANT to learn, just that they are told, "Don'T THINK"

So you see even Farang places with too many staff, rather than taking the time to train them.

Piggy's Top 20 Thai Frustrations:

:bow: Props for that post, and I bullshit you not. Nice thread DS. KS, you should start a 'thai360 greatest hits' thing and put this over there.

My first time in LOS. Alone. Arriving at 2a.m. I remember going out to the public taxis outside swampy and thinking "I'm not one of the suckas getting taken for a ride by King Power taxi stand inside."

I tell driver my hotel. He says: 500 baht no meter. I do the quick calculations in my exhausted head and realize it's less than $20USD. I think I'm getting a great deal. Hell yes dude. I even gave him a big fat tip.

It wasn't till the ride back <300 baht with meter, that it occurred to me that I was played.

While it might be annoying, one of the beautiful things about LOS is this: getting played stings less (financially, not pride wise) than 'normal' life here.

Anyway..........

Archived