Pet Peeves in LOS

Dumsoda

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I moved to Bangkok in 1978 and still heard the yam banging out the hours for a few years after that, into the early '80s anyway. Then silence. But you can see the hunks of iron and they pounded on hanging up in some places.

The word is also used in Bangkok to described the Indian "guards" who sleep in front of shops, usually right across the entrance. The idea obviously is that a thief would have to get rid of the Khaek yam before he could break in. You can still see Indians sleeping in front of shops in the wee hours on Sukhumwit.

And speaking of silence ... the arseholes have just started outside with the (illegal) bangers "for" Loy Krathong. I'd like to frag the fuckers!

:(

You've reminded me of my years upcountry ... when some bunghole would decided to tham boon for his kid who was going into a temple for a few weeks as a novice. Play awful music full blast for 48 hours straight, drive the neighbours crazy, send the chickens fleeing in panic into the woods. One year an idiot so overloaded the power lines that we had a black out in half of the city. The SOB simply hired a generator and keep it up for another day. :banghead:

I do miss the YAM though, the watchman who went around checking things during the night and banging out the hour and half hour on a hunk of railway track hung up on campus. We even had them in Bangkok when I moved into the city in 1978. Nowadays no one even knows what a YAM is. :(

We had the security guy (yam) in the moo baan doing the gong thing even today. Not too noisy, so no big deal.

It's been about 10 years since I went up to Nakon Sawan where a cousin was going to be a monk for a month and his father (uncle) threw a HUGE party for two days, loud/bad music, non-stop whiskey/beer and we finally marched around the area to the small temple the lad was going to go to. Ohhh, I also got to shave a bit of his head and my name was on the "umbrella" that was used when we marched around.

Of course we ran out of beer/whiskey and me being the jai dee that I am...went out and bought more just to make sure no one was sober! 555555555

I moved to Bangkok in 1978 and still heard the yam banging out the hours for a few years after that, into the early '80s anyway. Then silence. But you can see the hunks of iron and they pounded on hanging up in some places.

The word is also used in Bangkok to described the Indian "guards" who sleep in front of shops, usually right across the entrance. The idea obviously is that a thief would have to get rid of the Khaek yam before he could break in. You can still see Indians sleeping in front of shops in the wee hours on Sukhumwit.

And speaking of silence ... the arseholes have just started outside with the (illegal) bangers "for" Loy Krathong. I'd like to frag the fuckers!

:(

Flash

as you know the Thais tell time mostly in six-hour intervals; early morning 1 am to 5 am is 'tee' neung to 'tee' har. Then it's 6 in the morning hok mong chao (but I've on occasion heard saam mong chao as for 9 am so still a little unsure). Teang wan, midday. Afternoon, 1 pm is 'baay' mong, 'baay' song mong (2pm) etc till hok mong yen (6pm). After that, 7pm is neung 'toom' till 11 pm, har 'toom' and teang kheun (midnight).

The yams upcountry used two different gongs to ring out the time. One was the 'toom', so by counting how many times you heard that particular sound, you'd know what time it was. The 'tee' was a much higher sounding one than the 'toom'. Sound carries very far late at night upcountry.

As for the 'illegal' bangers, the dog's been hiding in the bathroom and won't come out.

Bloody this morning, a quiet morning walk through the back sois of Suttisarn but to be bailed up by 5 soi dogs.

I climed (you didn't clim it, you climbed it - the Duke - The Sons of Kaite Elder) the fence, which maybe I should not have done, however, I found an old broom. I hopped down, the bigger one came close enough for me to swing and belt it up the ass with the old broom.

Having frightened off the main dog, I went swinging like a wild commanche and enjoy the sight of the others scampering away :beer:

Archived