Old pets

khunsanuk

Maybe we should learn from the Thai philosophy that everything is temporary and unsatisfactory and not get too attached....

NEVER! I am quite the opposite, and is why all Thais just lub me too mutt.

I always smile and am happy (even if that's a lie)...works a treat! I am treated as a king here.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that are not dog persons - they probably don't get it.

This is an excruciating decision.

My first dog - got as small puppy at a shelter. Lasted 15 years. And was is perfect health until the end. But she lost control of bowels. And I hung on to this dog way beyond what was appropriate.

Finally, a family member advised me that this was not proper to let a dog live like this. So I ultimately took to family vet and asked to be put down.

Quality of life. Some vets will offer all sorts of treatments - to extend life. But at what cost - moneywise and the actual quality of life for the dog.

At some point the plug has to be pulled. And that is the hardest part. At what point.

Do you spend a kazillion baht/guilder/dollar/Euro/pound - to keep an old fragile sickly animal alive?

Someone should probably pull the plug on some of the old punters here on this board - but that is a topic for another posting.

• 2 weeks later...

KS,

Hope your dog is doing well, did he get that op?

I had a sweet dog for 18 years and one day he went to lay down under a tree in the garden to die.

Very sad day.

Didn't want an other dog fro 5 years,

Then in Thailand a dog is a necessity as an alarm against intruders. We got one from a neighbor dog who couldn't feed all the puppies.

He was a great dog but got poisoned by some idiot dog hater 5 years ago. I still loathe whoever did this.

Had 2 other dogs in the meantime who also died.

Now have two and they are doing fine, one is an idiot and the other is a sweet funny dog.

We still miss the poisoned one though, without that he still would be with us.

Hi,

Thanks. We're going to the hospital again tomorrow. They will inject him with some fluid to get a clearer picture of what is going on. I think they might operate tomorrow as well, but not 100% certain.

"Didn't want an other dog fro 5 years,"

My wife is saying the same. She says she does not want to go through the pain of losing one. I am certain she (like me) will be devastated when the dog dies.

My parents always said the same thing whenever they lost a dog, yet they inevitably bought another one within a few months. The house was just too empty without one.

I am still undecided, and hope this dog will still be with us for a couple more years.

Sanuk!

Dogs are the best. Fuck cats, they're worthless and stupid!

THIS is man's most badass animal friend:

cXJk-vQhmXg

VERY MUCH missing my last dog, Kota. A 55Kg black w/white trim female Akita who was the Buddha of dogs. If she ever even acted remotely interested in something, you KNEW it was something worth investigating. The most gentle creature ever, despite her very imposing looks.

Peace, Kota. You are missed very much!

Hi,

Back from the vets (they called this morning asking if we could come earlier, no problem). The dog got injected with fluid and they took some more scans. They now have a good idea of where the problem is, but unfortunately did not yet operate.

Operation is scheduled for Monday afternoon.

Sanuk!

<< Fuck cats, they're worthless and stupid! >>

So are women. What have you got against pussies?

p.s. Our most memorable dog was a beautiful white Alsatian (shepherd, Schaeferhund etc). She used to go out into the yard and round up our cats when it was time to come in for the evening. No one trained her, must have been bred into them. She weighed 90 lbs and thought she was a lap dog. And she slept on my bed. :p

Archived