Old pets

khunsanuk

Hi,

My dog is having serious health problems for a few weeks now. His left front leg often gives out when he's walking causing him to fall down. Been to the vets 3 times already and he's been on some meds - which do seem to help a bit. Had an x-ray done yesterday and bones are apparently fine, which means it might be a nerve issue. Left hind leg has started with the same symptoms. We're taking him to the Kaset Animal Hospital on Wednesday.

Now, this has raised a question as to how people deal with old pets here. I fully hope he will get through this, but he is getting on in years and sooner or later I may have to let him go (however much I dread having to make such a decision). In Holland I would take him to the vet and they'd let him go to sleep, not to wake up anymore.

No idea if that is done here as well though, or if there is another way. I truly hope he will just pass peacefully one day - several years from now preferably - but I could not see him in pain.

Don't really even want to think about this, but think I should be prepared. So, does anyone know if pets are euthanized here, and if so who does this?

Sanuk!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to let my dog go a few year ago, lost the use of his hind legs.

Got him put down.

Animals will try and pretend there's nothing wrong, even when they are in extreme pain. So the best decision, is usually one you make when there seems to be some hope for improvement.

I don't know if LOS Vet Clinics do put down animals, but they are a Vet Clinic; Ergo they probably do.

Good luck.

When my dog went it had a profound effect on me. Quite unexpected.

Coss

Hi,

"When my dog went it had a profound effect on me. Quite unexpected."

Gone through this twice already in Holland. Never had to make the decision myself though, but remember my father having to do so. He got half drunk first then still had to call a friend to come along. Couldn't do it.

Sanuk!

So, does anyone know if pets are euthanized here, and if so who does this?

Sanuk!

Yes they are, any decent vet will see your dog is in pain and will do the right thing.

Feel free to PM me if you want the contact details of my vet in Phatum Thani, she is the top animal doc IMHO.

When I had a cat that was very sick a few years ago (Feline Leukemia Virus), I tried hard to save her. Blood transfusions from her sister helped but couldn't do much. The vet suggested I put her down, but I couldn't bring myself to it. In the end she just slipped away in her sleep and saved me the decision.

Hi,

So far I do not get the impression the dog is in any pain. He just cannot walk. For most of the day he wouldn't eat, although he drank quite a bit a few times. And we just got him to eat a sausage. Not a lot, but I was happy he ate at least that.

Tomorrow to the vets. Hopefully they can help him get better.

Sanuk!

Archived