Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LK

I agree to disagree with you on this one, having worked for the National Nuclear Corporation in the UK I may know a little bit more than yourself.

Westinghouse LWR (Light Water Reactor) is the PWR (Pressuerised Water Reactor) based on Bechtel SNUPPS (Standard Nuclear Unit Power Plant Systems) where as Fukushima is a BWR (Boiling Water Reactor) designed by General Electric / Idaho National Laboratory currently licensed by GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy.

Safety Systems are listed here

LK

I agree to disagree with you on this one, having worked for the National Nuclear Corporation in the UK I may know a little bit more than yourself.

Westinghouse LWR (Light Water Reactor) is the PWR (Pressuerised Water Reactor) based on Bechtel SNUPPS (Standard Nuclear Unit Power Plant Systems) where as Fukushima is a BWR (Boiling Water Reactor) designed by General Electric / Idaho National Laboratory currently licensed by GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy.

Safety Systems are listed here

You are correct, the nuke was built by GE, per my little Japanese friend who worked for GE.

I know nothing about nuclear technology but I do know never to believe the media. I also don't believe a lot of what the japanese government spokesmen are saying on the situation.

2 massive explosions kind of tell me things are not under control.

Trying to save a bit of face (even tho' this fact is immaterial to my points), we are both kinda correct. Japan uses Westinghouse technology (the AP1000), but those are not the ones in the quake + tsunami zone. My bad for assuming other. I thought the GE tech was already obsoleted by the AP1000.

I know nothing about nuclear technology but I do know never to believe the media. I also don't believe a lot of what the japanese government spokesmen are saying on the situation.

2 massive explosions kind of tell me things are not under control.

If you understand the science, you can understand that this is dramatic and certainly not "A Good Thing," but not so dangerous per se. In the high temp steam, water breaks into its components. We all know how explosive hydrogen is (refer to The Hindenburg as a great example). This is a known issue, and all three of the containment vessels are made to deal with that event.

The chemistry of the Cesium & Iodine and how they react in this situation make it basically a non-event. No contamination is possible outside of a very small (talking a couple hundred meters here) radius. It goes away very fast due to the nature of the elements.

Archived