Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several years ago (and I would suspect they still do), it was common for brokerage firms to have a black book on what do if certain things happened. They already accounted for a Japanese earthquake and I've long hear the every 70 years or so timeline. There were a basket of stocks computer trading programs would either buy or sell when/if an earthquake hit Japan.

As far as CNN and other news (if you can call what they do news nowadays) they will always sensationalize under the guise of the humanity of a tragedy and try to appear sypathetic but its really about ratings. Any and every angle of this event will be milked. The human interest stories of individuals will be next if it hasn't already happened. They did the same with the Haiti tragedy.

Tragedies like these are a godsend to the news networks. Sad to say so but its true. Its a constant struggle to fill airtime and these types of events keeps people tuned in with little costs (replaying the same footage over and over). Not much cost to bringing on some nerd expert from some university to tell us the science of it, etc.

The sensationalized coverage of these events ends up desenstiizing me to the tragedy. I feel guilty about that. After constant round the clock retelling of the same information where they ask the reporter on the ground things that the person has no training for, knowledge of or is not privy to that information.

I saw the explosion on the Televisual extravaganza, Fukushima #1 station, there were shots from 2 angles. Not every day you see a nuclear power plant blow up.

The assumption is that there is radiation in this explosion. 10 and 20 kilometre exclusion and evacuation zones in place, around of the sites of #1 and #2 power stations.

Caesium and Iodine detected at #1 plant, [color:red]reactor container not breached[/color], levels not rising, top of building gone. Seawater being pumped in to cool reactors.

Still lots of footage of the Tsunami/s, which presumably have gone now. Heights of 7 metres not uncommon.

Plenty of large and extensive fires, coming under control.

400 - 500 bodies awaiting identification.

Great footage of train swept off tracks, I say great because the people had been evacuated before it happened.

Plenty of aftershocks. For those who may not know the Richter scale is logarithmic.

Japan 8.9 Richter scale

Christchurch 6.3 Richter scale

1299965467-RichterScale.gif

Archived