Sad sight

]

You should hang out at the USA embassy sometime' date=' I know at least one ex board member here who the USA Embassy flew home one way fairly recently. [/quote']

I work there bro.

I asked yesterday and they said policy is "no way in hell."

However, they also said there are special circumstances too and that also, CG can decide to do whatever. So I dont doubt that they have sent some people home.

Emergency Assistance

The American Citizen Services section provides emergency services to Americans in the event of an emergency such as a death, arrest, illness, injury, missing persons, destitution and other circumstances. However, the type of services provided are limited. For general information on the type of services that can be provided, please refer to the State Department’s website for travelers: http://travel.state.gov.

Link

Of course they will not talk about it very much and they need to set the bar extremely high. Otherwise every other backpacker would call the embassy after he/she had a great holiday and spent all their money on booze, sex and Ganja.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kamui, very true, but they will help, if push comes to shove. I am not a very pro-USA person, but it is good they do.

I guess that most western embassies (like the USA and Germany) do have a similar rules in regard to fellow countrymen in trouble.

Of course they will not talk about it very much and they need to set the bar extremely high. Otherwise every other backpacker would call the embassy after he/she had a great holiday and spent all their money on booze, sex and Ganja.

Absolutely. Why buy a ticket when Uncle Sam will?

I met a guy in my Peace Corps training who had been in a program for Morocco. He explored Morocco and got to learn some basic Arabic, but at the end of training told PC it wasn't what he wanted. He wasn't sworn in and was sent home. The following year, he was invited to train in a program in Venezuela. He spent two months learning Spanish, swimming in the Caribbean, shagging the female trainees and generally having a blast. But he told them it wasn't really what he wanted either and got sent home. Wonder of wonders, he finally got a shot at Thailand. They told him if he didn't take this one, they'd know he was just screwing around and would never call him again. He was no fool. He stayed and enjoyed a very pleasant couple of years in LOS. Not to mention those expense paid holidays he'd had before that.

I wonder how many others have been smart enough to get free vacations courtesy of the U. S. Peace Corps. :hmmm:

Of course they will not talk about it very much and they need to set the bar extremely high. Otherwise every other backpacker would call the embassy after he/she had a great holiday and spent all their money on booze' date=' sex and Ganja.[/quote']

Absolutely. Why buy a ticket when Uncle Sam will?

Yes, why? Firstly, you lose your passport when Uncle Sam buys a ticket. It becomes invalidated immediately. Secondly, you do not get a free ticket. You're given a loan, in essence, and pay interest on it. You are not eligible to receive a passport until the money is paid back in full.

Thirdly, it would be humiliating. Having to explain to an embassy officer your tale of woe and hoping for any help. The ACS office is pretty damn small and about every word spoken can be heard by anyone in there.

Yes why, indeed.

Kamui, very true, but they will help, if push comes to shove. I am not a very pro-USA person, but it is good they do.

I find the USA Embassy a waste of time.

When 4 young men tried robbing me, I contacted the USA Embassy. Basically what they said was "[color:red]Fark Off[/color]!" or something like that.

Kamui' date=' very true, but they will help, if push comes to shove. I am not a very pro-USA person, but it is good they do.[/quote']

I find the USA Embassy a waste of time.

When 4 young men tried robbing me, I contacted the USA Embassy. Basically what they said was "[color:red]Fark Off[/color]!" or something like that.

Yes, sorry to hear you got held up, but what could do embassy do about it, if it happen in Thailand or where ever, they don't have the sovereignty to do anything about it, it is a local matter :beer:

Archived