University ,assorted

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen ,

some of you might remember a breathtaking story from last year where I tried to find out how to make somebody subscibe to the priceless services of Ratchapat (sp?) university in Khorat . During the final interview the young lady gave the interviewer envelope with 6000 Baht only NOT to appear on the final list . Fraud and crime and murder . Madame is now in charge of farm rice , doubled her weight and enjoys life . Up to her .

Now lovely Nok's daughter number 2 approaching aforementioned institution by the month of April I believe . We have now made sure that the process of qualifyling is fully understood and no mistakes done again . Now there are questions :

Nok`s villa is somewhere outside Korat in the forest and the nearest bus station " too far " . Nok explains it is 1 kilo and after I suggested madame could walk twice 1 kilo per day Nok recalculated the distance and is now offering 4 kilometer . How much , gentlemen , is a decent motorcycle ? Next one : how much is a reasonable notebook in the kingdom ? I am asking because everybody involved seems to think that I am the only possible payer under any aspect of Thai logics . We discussed similar cases in the past , didn't we ?

Your assistance in doing my 2012 budget is appreciated

BuBi

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

We paid ~40,000 Baht for our motorbike about 2 years ago. One thing, pay in full. If you buy motorbikes on installments you end up paying twice as much (not an exageration, the interest is insane).

A netbook (small laptop) can be had for less than 10,000 Baht.

Sanuk!

Nobody seems to want a second hand laptop. I've seen them dirt cheap at Panthip, say 3000 or 4000. The gal doesn't need that big a bike. Must be something cheaper than 40,000 - maybe the motorbike type. There is a Baja bike that looks like an old fashioned moped.

p.s. There are so many rajabhats around that there is no need to stick to Khorat. Almost every province has one now.

Hi,

"...and are those students now not entitled to get a free tablet under the Yingluck government??? "

The government ordered the first 900,000 of them today apparently. Total cost 1.9 billion Baht, take off 30% in 'commissions' and your left with each tab costing 1,500 Baht. I'm sure you can figure out what kind of 'quality' that will get you :)

Used one here recently that had cost 5,000 Baht and it was utterly useless.

Sanuk!

...and are those students now not entitled to get a free tablet under the Yingluck government???

The tablet computers are to given to every 6-7 year olds in Prathom 1 and some 10 year olds in Prathom 4.

40k or so will get you a 125 Honda or Yamaha that will last forever.

TH

Thank you gentlemen , lovely Nok now wants to know how I could ever teach her about Thai motorcycle prices which she estimated at 70.000 bare minimum for a substandard unit of most dubious design and origin . I noted 40.000 already in my 2012 balance sheet under " provision " . The current plan is that mademoiselle skips the bus in total and shall fight her way through rain and thunderstorms from her home to Korat city by motorcycle .

Ref the netbook I guess such a machine would be sufficient for general uni purposes , she would not study nuclear physics I think. I am considering to buy it locally in case tecnical dificulties arise .

Thai universities seem to provide dormitories which are not at all cheap .

Hi,

"I am considering to buy it locally in case tecnical dificulties arise ."

Definitely buy it in Thailand as that way she'll have a Thai keyboard.

The 70K for a motorbike could be a misunderstanding. Total price on installments probably comes close to that amount, but when paid for at once 40K will buy a decent one.

Sanuk!

Archived