Iran Warships Enter Mediterranean

Julian2

Why is it ok for Pakistan to have Nukes but not Iran ? Why no fuss or talk of sanctions when Israel developed nukes ? Ok I forgot they are supposed to be a "friendly " western style democracy - they must be because they are allowed to be in the Eurovision Song Contest :cheerleader:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, having nuclear weapons discourages an invasion, but what you failed to do is take it to the logical conclusion, which is nuclear weapons prevent an invasion regardless of what you do to provoke it. Iran wants the nuclear weapons so they can do whatever they want thinking the weapons will prevent any consequences for those actions.

TH

"Iran wants the nuclear weapons so they can do whatever they want thinking the weapons will prevent any consequences for those actions."

Hasn't Iran been doing whatever it wanted to all along? They have huge oil reserves. 3rd largest in the world. That is immense power. Its similar to the power Saudi Arabia has. Iran has a commodity the world needs in abundance and it has the power to affect the price of that commodity. That's an immense amount of power on a global stage. Far more than most countries. It already has power. So, that's why I would disagree that Iran wants nukes so it can do whatever it wants. It would be the first nation in the modern era to acquire them for that reason. The USSR saw America used it and needed it. China saw that both its rivals (America and USSR) had it they needed it.

Israel got it because it was attacked by its neighbors. Pakistan got it because of fear of India. Iran has seen both its neighbors invaded. Its hated by the world's biggest superpower (legitimately so so I might add) who has invaded its neighbors and are leading the charge to isolate it. Its enemies with Israel that not only has nukes but have no hesitation in flying bombers into their country. So it just sounds logical and reasonable to me that they would want nukes for the same reasons Israel and Pakistan does. Protection.

N. Korea may be the exception to the 'rule'. They use it to keep fed and clothed by using the threat of it as extortion. They know S. Korea and Japan aren't going to invade them.

Obama doesn't think it is all right for the US to have them. He wants to get rid of them eventually and plans to reduce the number of US warheads to less than China's before long.

We could cut our nukes by even far less than that and still have enough firepower to blow up everyone a few times over. What we, Russia and China have is overkill. We can kill each other many times over.

Both China and the USSR knows this and I doubt they'd see it as cause to invade. Also the reduction in costs to having to keep those warheads safe.

Maybe just maybe it may encourage said powers to reduce theirs as well.

At another time I would have been aghast if a President wanted to do this but in my newly formed, far left, pinko mindset (which could change again...lol), I don't see the harm in terms of being able to defend ourselves as well as projecting power overseas. Maybe we can put some of that cost savings towards the people that actually do the fighting.

Hi,

Why is it okay for the US to have them? After all they are the only nation who has actually ever used them.

:stirthepo

Sanuk!

lol...on a sidenote, which European powers have nukes anyway? I know France does. England does. Does anyone else who were not part of the old Soviet bloc? Italy? Spain? Belgium? The nordic countries? I doubt Germany does but may have gotten them when they assumed East Germany.

Just curious.

Archived