$100 For A Pack Of Cigarettes?

Flashermac

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sure there are more foods, but that is here not the subject.

and the mussles are from Holland :)

Actually, if you're talking about pricing things out of the range of common people, it is the subject. Do you really want to give the government that kind of control over your life?

Sure, no one disputes cigarettes are unhealthy. There may be some dispute as to HOW unhealthy (along with ancillary effects of second hand smoke), but there's plenty of evidence linking them to cancer, emphysema, heart problems, etc. People also get something from them though. They do actually smoke for a reason.

So if it's done in a matter that doesn't hurt others, and yes it poses a health risk to themselves that isn't enormous in solitary sessions (eg, smoking a cigarette) but cumulative over a period of years and they accept that ---> why would you want the government to have the power to strip that away?

HT's point is exactly relevant, if you go down that route, it doesn't stop with cigarettes.

I will not be surprised if in the near future

the police go house to house

looking for 'criminals' that are growing tobacco

and those 'criminals' that actually

possess a simple maachine that can

roll cigarettes and even add a filter to the cigarette.

where i used to work it was forbidden for staff to smoke anywhere on the premises while on duty,which is fair enough as they did'nt want th public to see the staff smoking.

but of course the staff found many out of the way places to have a smoke.

normally the anti-smoking patrols were out up until around 5pm and after that anything went.

it even became an offence for staff to smoke in their cars on the way home whilst still on the site.

one day the Chief Executive was seen smoking in her car and guess what............no action taken against her...what a surprise.... :closemouth:

sure there are more foods, but that is here not the subject.

and the mussles are from Holland :)

Excuse me, but where do you get off with "that is here not the subject"?

The thread is about reducing health risks through punitive taxes. Many people associate mussels with health risks.

HorneyTorney mentioned the National Dish of Belgium. National Dish of Belgium, at least to me and apparently HorneyTorney, brings to mind a bunch of Belgiuminians sitting around eating this stuff in Belgium. From a dish.

The fact that it is not even a "real" Belgian product, and must be imported, is not HorneyTorneys fault.

The first line is the important one here:

http://www.visitbelgium.com/?page=mussels

"Mussels or moules are the national dish of Belgium and are in season from September to February. Most of the mussels consumed in Belgium come from the North Sea, off the northern coast of the Netherlands. Traditionally they are served in a large steaming pot of savory broth with a side Belgian frites and homemade mayonnaise."

The second line is important here:

http://uk.chezleon.be/index.asp?id=476&idl=985

"A stone's throw from the Brussels Grand Place , the "rich theatre" to borrow a phrase from Jean Cocteau, is the Ilot Sacré. At the heart of this neighbourhood, the Léon restaurant, temple of mussels and chips, has been in existence for more than 100 years."

I have actually been to this restaurant. It is in Belgium and the place was filled with Belgiuminiums.

Hi,

well it probably depends how much.

but chocoholics get often obese and obesity increase the likelyhood for several kind of cancers

Hmm, rapid backpedaling, eh?

In your example above it is obesity that causes cancer, not chocolate perse. I eat quite a lot of chocolate, yet am not even remotely obese.

Sanuk!

Archived