$100 For A Pack Of Cigarettes?

Flashermac

Hi,

Don't think they are, which means that his entire list is of items that are NOT cancer causing :)

Sanuk!

KS,

The way I read the thread was not carcinogenic products as much as control of potentially unhealthy products that HT was pointing out.

Then a poster without moderator status or any power beyond a normal board member attempted to direct and control what could be discussed, basically exempting a certain country from discussion. Posters have the right to make their own posts and whether that goes or not is subject to you and moderators approval.

This board is unique among Thai boards in that we an actually disagree with you without future negative consequences as long as, and this is the key point here, it is done like an adult. If we don't like it and need the ability to control what others post we are free to start our own board.

Don't get me wrong on the food...I love shellfish but know that the food poisoning risks are far higher than many other foods. Any dangerous or unhealthy product can be sold in Belgium as far as I'm concerned. In fact I would encourage it.

Let the Belgiminians eat what they want and lets hope, without a lot of complaining, they will allow us the freedom to continue to engage in discussions as grown ups.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS,

The way I read the thread was not carcinogenic products as much as control of potentially unhealthy products that HT was pointing out.

Then a poster without moderator status or any power beyond a normal board member attempted to direct and control what could be discussed, basically exempting a certain country from discussion. Posters have the right to make their own posts and whether that goes or not is subject to you and moderators approval.

This board is unique among Thai boards in that we an actually disagree with you without future negative consequences as long as, and this is the key point here, it is done like an adult. If we don't like it and need the ability to control what others post we are free to start our own board.

Don't get me wrong on the food...I love shellfish but know that the food poisoning risks are far higher than many other foods. Any dangerous or unhealthy product can be sold in Belgium as far as I'm concerned. In fact I would encourage it.

Let the Belgiminians eat what they want and lets hope, without a lot of complaining, they will allow us the freedom to continue to engage in discussions as grown ups.

looks like your obsession is your cancer ! LOL

Hi,

KS,

I think you are reading too much into that post. Quite possibly due to a dislike of the poster :)

The way I see it the post by HT was trying to stir shit and he got egg on his face when people started pointing out that none of those items were cancer causing (or being controlled by govs).

Sanuk!

After smoking is going down in Europe and the USA (but not in Asia as I understand, there it is going up) the next huge discussion will be obesity.

The costs of obesity will become HUGE in many countries, lead by the USA.

I just heard today that in Germany an obese person causes around 80.000 €/ 105.000 USD additional costs in health care during his/her life.

And then add the non-healthcare costs for obesity, which have to be paid by all citizens:

As America's waistline expands, costs soar

(Reuters) - U.S. hospitals are ripping out wall-mounted toilets and replacing them with floor models to better support obese patients. The Federal Transit Administration wants buses to be tested for the impact of heavier riders on steering and braking. Cars are burning nearly a billion gallons of gasoline more a year than if passengers weighed what they did in 1960.

The nation's rising rate of obesity has been well-chronicled. But businesses, governments and individuals are only now coming to grips with the costs of those extra pounds, many of which are even greater than believed only a few years ago: The additional medical spending due to obesity is double previous estimates and exceeds even those of smoking, a new study shows.

Many of those costs have dollar signs in front of them, such as the higher health insurance premiums everyone pays to cover those extra medical costs. Other changes, often cost-neutral, are coming to the built environment in the form of wider seats in public places from sports stadiums to bus stops.

The startling economic costs of obesity, often borne by the non-obese, could become the epidemic's second-hand smoke. Only when scientists discovered that nonsmokers were developing lung cancer and other diseases from breathing smoke-filled air did policymakers get serious about fighting the habit, in particular by establishing nonsmoking zones. The costs that smoking added to Medicaid also spurred action. Now, as economists put a price tag on sky-high body mass indexes (BMIs), policymakers as well as the private sector are mobilizing to find solutions to the obesity epidemic.

Full article here: http://www.reuters.c...E84001W20120501

I would support a obesity tax; let's say everybody with a BMI >30 pays 10% higher income tax per point on the BMI.

for example

BMI: 35: 50% higher income tax

BMI: 40: double income tax

as I pay a lot of tax for smoking, driving my car, drinking my booze etc. , the obese should also be charged

and that is a good incentive to loose some weight.

now how much more tax you guys have to pay; my BMI is 26

Archived