Understanding Their View of Your $$$ Money $$$

zanemay

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"That dual-national stuff is crap, IMO, at least regards those who serve in foreign armed forces. If you take the oath and put on a uniform that says other than USA, then you're potentially ready to kill Americans."

I have no problem with dual citizenship myself. If you DO hold the citzienship of a country like Israel, where military service is required of its citizens, American law only prohibits an American from serving AS AN OFFICER, commissioned or noncommissioned, in a foreign army. It is against American law to "aid the enemy," so if that foreign army decides to fight the U.S., then it becomes illegal, and the soldier in question had best find a way to flee or face the consequences. See the second half of:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_229.html

I agree with the others that the visa-processing fee for the U.S. is too high. I do not believe it needs to be that high to cover processing, and I believe that it should be refunded if the visa is refused.

High Thaied,

I had no idea so few Americans had Passports.

Other than Mexico, I only had one vacation outside the US before I visited Thailand last year (and once this year as well). Like you, I feel extremely fortunate that I have been lucky enough to visit Thailand. In fact, I have found Thailand to be so enjoyable that I plan to retire to Thailand next year.

Its all about money, rich Asian countries dont need visa for Europe and US, such as Japan and Singapore."

Yet, you always have these guys complaining about the coruption, discrimination, extra pricing towards foreigners! The average Thai can't even get a friggin visa to come to the US yet they don't prevent Americans from visiting their country! Let's put things in perspective people.

"The average Thai can't even get a friggin visa to come to the US yet they don't prevent Americans from visiting their country! Let's put things in perspective people. "

This has been discussed many times. The issue is, as you pointed out money. A Singaporean going to the US is most likely going to go back to Singapore, historically, a Thai is going to try and stay and work illegally.

I don't like the difficulty in getting visa anymore then you do, but there is a reason for the discrimination and I cannot argue that it is incorrect.

TH

>>>In fact, I have found Thailand to be so enjoyable that I plan to retire to Thailand next year. <<<

Good for you. Wish I could be saying the same. frown.gif

"I dont think you can base your opinion of a country on your dealings with sex workers and visiting major tourist traps, as Zane appears to have done."

Dear Spirit and everyone else who missed it,

I am certainly not talking about all Thai's. Only a "certain segment" who come to work in Pattaya and BKK. This is my orginal post:

"I have been living here on and off for a year and a half. I have been seeing and living close to a certain segment of Thai society - service people and bar girls."

I have traveled to many places in LOS and met people from other walks of life. Also, I am not being cynical about this group and like many, many of them very well. I was trying to post about the realities here and add a bit of humor in the process.

Zane

historically, a Thai is going to try and stay and work illegally.

------------------------

What history? Do you have the numbers of thais having used a tourist visa to stay illegally? The fact is, you may know, Thais are very proud people and they do not like hardship and uncertainty. latinos, chinese, maybe. Not thais. So, i would not be so sure as you.

Actually, i find it funny to talk about thais working illegally in a foreign country, when there are so many farang expats in Thailand doing exactly that.

I do not know the number of Thais that have overstayed in US. I do know that Thailand is considered one of the high-risk countries for this problem.

I think you are probably correct in that there are a number of farangs working illegally in Thailand.

Do not take your frustration with the US's visa policy out on me. I am in the same position you are in. I do wish that our gov would allow us to post a bond that would guarantee the return of the person. That, to me would solve the issue.

TH

Archived