Careful About Farang You Meet Online

Boo Radley

No idea about Mr. Blackie . Just in general I would prefer people having a life that is " colourful " or who have shown to be a " character " could manage to do so without playing their role at the expense of others . It feels much less colouful if you need the money that somebody has taken off you promising that you get it back . No respect from my side .

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I concede that it's easy to read Stickman's piece and draw conclusions about someone (no longer with us) which may seem unfair to those that actually knew Blackie. That said, this thread is about Farang who use their charisma for personal advantage and a couple of examples of Isaan conmen were posted, with the question 'how can people be so gullible as to give these people money ?'.

I have no doubt that the man in question had his share of positive character traits to balance the negatives, but there is a thread here where Flasher and others caution me re modelling my own time in LOS on Blackie's spending patterns. Other than small loans from my sister as a feckless youth, I have never relied on others to fund my lifestyle choices - I guess time will tell if I can maintain that lofty ideal. IF anyone interpreted my post as equating Blackie with 'Angus and Co', that wasnt my intent - I doubt that the latter Farang have friends who would leap to their defence.

I concede that it's easy to read Stickman's piece and draw conclusions about someone (no longer with us) which may seem unfair to those that actually knew Blackie. That said, this thread is about Farang who use their charisma for personal advantage and a couple of examples of Isaan conmen were posted, with the question 'how can people be so gullible as to give these people money ?'.

I have no doubt that the man in question had his share of positive character traits to balance the negatives, but there is a thread here where Flasher and others caution me re modelling my own time in LOS on Blackie's spending patterns. Other than small loans from my sister as a feckless youth, I have never relied on others to fund my lifestyle choices - I guess time will tell if I can maintain that lofty ideal. IF anyone interpreted my post as equating Blackie with 'Angus and Co', that wasnt my intent - I doubt that the latter Farang have friends who would leap to their defence.

How much money do you need?

How much money do you need?

This should just about cover my plans for endless orgies on Soi 33 -

Powerball 30 million dollar jackpot

30 million AUD atm is, at least on xe.com, going to be awfully close to a billion baht.

30.00 AUD = 981.784 THB

Of course, I wouldn't get that on the street, but I guess we all have our crosses to bear. At 3000 AUD a night for a few thousand nights (after I buy property in Malaysia and Singapore, of course), I expect I'll leave a pretty disgusting corpse. When I think about it, that is the likely outcome, regardless of the starting figure. Born naked, broke and howling till someone stuck a tit in my mouth - why not go out the same way ?

Never met Blackie, not that I remember anyway. IF stick's obituary on him is true, he sounds just like so many desperado's not just in the LOS, but in most countries now. Not saying Stick's story is true though, just an observation on the story linked.

On "conmen" - who seem to pop up here and there, and I've met my fair share of people who's next million is "just around the corner". I have found if someone starts rambling on about how they, "Live off the interest of..." or "Have a business overseas which supports them," which, let's face it, is simply bragging (or lying) about how much they earn or are "worth" - it is generally a crock of shite, leading up to a big con.

Maybe I'm more private in what I disclose to strangers but I would never tell someone I hadn't known more than a period of years what I was worth or earning or had in the bank. Yes, I take an active interest in banks, investments and such, but I would never express to a stranger (or bloke I've just met in a bar or anywhere else) my financial situation. I doubt it's just me, sure if I meet someone we discuss our career choices, as much as our favourite sporting team, but when someone starts pointing out how well of they are, or soon will be. Red flags abound.

What truly amazes me about these down and out farang, the ones with nothing at all, not so much the con men and internet scammers etc, is how many of them absolutely refuse to go back to their home country and try to start over, live as simply and frugally as possible for a couple or few years to save up enough to come back to this place they love so much with some dignity and money to support their stay. We've all seen the farang beggars on the streets of Bangkok (though I've rarely seen them in Pattaya - maybe because I have not spent as much time in Pattaya the past few years as much as I have been in BKK? Anyone see the farang beggars in Patts much?). Many of these guys seem to prey on their family's and friends generosity and sympathy, taking/asking for 'loans' they full well know they will likely not be able to pay back the money at all. The likelihood of their parlaying the loan into some sort of money-making income in the LOS is very slim. Once the loan money is gone, being used to subsist for a few weeks or months, they try to borrow from others again and again. Sooner or later they run out of options and the goodwill of others, family and friends, and then what? How can they possibly be happy living as they do? Where is their self-pride and dignity? Why are they so adamant about not going back to where they usually (in many western countries) will have some sort of social security network that can help them get back on their feet, the chance of even a low paying job or two combined to help them work and save for a better life once they can return here to this place they seem to love and crave to live in? They cannot possibly be enjoying their time here under these sort of circumstances and financial hardships while doing so: always wondering how the hell they'll pay their rent, buy their food, get a job (not usually likely here as a farang) and dodging the people they owe money they have borrowed from. How can they treat their families and friends so shabbily? Are they so totally deluded and self-centered that they do not see what they have become? I just do not understand their mindset and thinking.

The Central Scrutinizer

The Central Scrutinizer

Mr. Central Scrutinizer ,

your signature always reminds me of a previous boardmember posting as Central Scrutinizer . Heaven only knows what might have happened to him , possibly opening bar or work farm rice . Previous Central Scrutinizer offered some great stories about the Thai country life , one of which shall be with me for ever . Seriously now . The one with a guy sitting at the village lake smoking a ciggy .

Talking about current business you complain about people settling in Siam whose mindset and thinking remain a mystery to yourself . Please bear in mind these individuals rarely manage to keep going without the help of brother whisky or related liquids . Nuff said .

BuBi

Archived