Us Missionaries Target A Tough Sell: Bangkok Bar Girls

Coss

Hi,

Wow, that would certainly inflate the numbers quite a bit. It immediately includes karaoke girls, waitresses, cashiers, hell, probably even maids and make-up girls. This would easily double or triple the number, possibly even more.

Sanuk!

Yes, it shows that those statistics can't be trusted. Until now I thought sex worker = prostitute.

It would be interesting to check the websites of NGO's, health organizations, e.g., in regard to the numbers.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it shows that those statistics can't be trusted. Until now I thought sex worker = prostitute.

It would be interesting to check the websites of NGO's, health organizations, e.g., in regard to the numbers.

Would an NGO or a Health Organisation employee not also be classed as a Sex Worker?

Back to the original article:

Here is the homepage of the evangelical NGO

HOME OF NEW BEGINNINGS

Generally I think it is great, that there are people who support BGs, who want to leave the trade and give the women an education. BUT

- Interestingly the webpage doesn't give any details about their operation, like number of BG's they are working with per year.

- there is no report about their success quote

- no details about the donations they receive, no details how much is actually spend on the girls.

- the information on the website is partly misleading: the website centers on sex trafficking, but the NGO rarely works with trafficked girls (personally I don't think that traffickers are going after the girls in the Farang scene, since I think they know much better what's going on abroad than a non english speaking BG working in Issaan).

And of course there is the missionary part of their job, which I find highly problematic. In the end you get the impression, that turning Buddhists into Christians is the main aim of their project:

Quote from their website: "[Pin] came to live at Beginnings and worked on Thai literacy as well as vocational training. Her desire is to continue to know more about Jesus and return to her village to share the good news."

SECOND NGO

There is a second NGO working close to Nana:

Servantworks

They are hardcore evangelicals as well. Also they don't give any detailed information about their work.

The only difference is that they don't claim to work with trafficked BGs.

PS: Albeit reluctantly both NGO's state that the BGs entered the trade on their own will.

Hi,

"In the end you get the impression, that turning Buddhists into Christians is the main aim of their project"

I think this is almost always the main purpose, "saving souls"

And, like you, I have a big problem with that. I can't stand people trying to shove their religion down others' throats.

Sanuk!

Truly generous - and when we give, we give exactly what they want, cold cash, not some other benefit that's difficult to convert to the desired good (be it their rent, school fees for the family, lunch, ya ba, whatever her heart is set on). We make our contribution, and never look back - no strings attached, once the money is in her hand, she is free! This is true giving, to give without expectation.

I think I'm even persuaded, myself. I really should book a flight ASAP - heaven is waiting!

YimSiam

And, like you, I have a big problem with that. I can't stand people trying to shove their religion down others' throats.

Sanuk!

Where you see anything about shoving religion down their throats? Looks to me like they are up front with the BGs about what they are doing. The BGs can tell them to sod off.

Wonder if they'd have better luck with the BGs in Su-ngai Kolok. :hmmm:

On that note, I've always believed, that far from contributing, to new Lexus/Mercedes SUVs, by donating to established charities, the best way to help the needy, is to do it directly, by becoming the provider for pretty girl, the money doesn't then get siphoned off, for NGO expenses and one get's some sex as well, win win.

Seriously, I considered helping NGOs dealing with orphans et al, here in Laos, and decided the money was much better spent further up the food chain, allowing MLG to further her study, therein becoming a much more productive contributor to Laos society and raising the whole, from the upper rather than the lower end of the food chain...

In "Sweetwater: Gunslinger 201", a novel written by a Navy fighter pilot, the author at one point describes an experience that is almost certainly autobiographical. One of the principal characters has just encountered a pair of orphans in the Phillipines, done his homework, and found that it would actually be quite easy and inexpensive to find loving parents and relocate them to a very good home. He asks a minor player why the NGOs working with the orphans are not pursuing this approach. The minor player explains that the NGOs are IN BUSINESS to help the orphans. If they actually worked the problem, successfully, there'd be no more orphans, and they'd all be out of work.

I agree with your approach.

When I see them in the bar - and they are around obviously - I kick them out errr .... politely ask them to leave. "But we are just here to talk to the girls". Fook off.

Used to get them when I was in Cowboy. The girls would say "The christ are coming". WTF I would think until I worked it out.

Cheers,

Mark

When I see them in the bar - and they are around obviously - I kick them out errr .... politely ask them to leave. "But we are just here to talk to the girls". Fook off.

Used to get them when I was in Cowboy. The girls would say "The christ are coming". WTF I would think until I worked it out.

Cheers,

Mark

why all the harsh words about this couple?.

i imagine some of us have paid to take a girl out of the bar for a while,treated them to a meal and a drink and then kindly shown them a bed for the night...

i know i have shown my good nature by doing this in the past,just a shame it cost me a lot more then these 2 kindly souls pay.

Archived