Men get better and women get desperate?

"Pierce Brosnan is the best ever Bond though! "

Hansum Man, I have to side with the venerable Mr Jjsushi here and conclude that you're mad as a hatter on this one. I would reckon Brosnan to be about the the worst Bond. (Apart from that hairy English bloke in the 80s who was so nondescript and awful I can't even remember his name.) I'd rate Connery the highest. Roger Moore was less wooden than Brosnan. Lazenby hardly got a kick at the ball. Pre-Brosnan, I heard they were considering David Bowie for the part. Thank god he never got the green light: every film Bowie's "acted" in has been a turkey. Absolute Beginners anyone? What the world really needs is a boozing, scrapping, cussing Jimmy Bond. They should red-card Brosnan and get Ray Winstone on the case. wink.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean has always been the superior Bond!

----------------------

Goes without saying! I rented the whole Sean/Bond series while in Pattaya last winter. . for the remnant of the trip i often went to bed telling my GF: "My name is Bond...... James Bond!".Only missing was FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE. I remember i fell in love with Ursula Andress when i first saw it. At 11yo, what do you expect?

"I am afraid to say that even the family structure of Asia will be destroyed by Western Capitalism and Culture."

It's not like it's stayed static all these centuries. It was something else until Hinduism influenced changes in it, and a few centuries later Buddhism changed it again, etc. This is just the latest in a long string of influences, or "destructions" if you will. Won't be the last, either.

db,

"On the face of it, that sounds like you're singing the praises of the Traditional Asian Family. But then when one realises that Asian elders are suing their children over money, the whole warm-and-fuzzy notion is exposed as a fraud.

My limited observations are that 20 and 30-something Thai women have 5-6 siblings but only 1-3 children of their own. I suspect that changing demographics is going to have a serious social impact in only 1 or 2 more generations and the government doesn't seem to be preparing for it.

Does your data confirm or dispute my fears?

Regards, JEff

" I suspect that changing demographics is going to have a serious social impact in only 1 or 2 more generations"

much less than one generation. The same problem exists all over newly-developing Asia (but different countries are in different stages of the transition) and is quite well known - actually made the cover of international magazines.

It is not only a financial problem. Asian families used to take care of their old not only financially - the children used to be physically and emotionally close to their parents. It is still not unusual to see a 40y.o. man in a business suit taking his weak old father for a walk after office hours. But in the richer places (Hong Kong, Taipei) nowadays more often than not it will be a Filipina doing this. Grown-up children begin to see their old parents as a burden, almost like in the West. How good a substitute is a Filipina for a son?

In HK, suicide of the elderly is very common. They feel deserted, they feel their children don't take care of them the way they expect it. Off course, the children still take care of them a lot more than we in the West!

Archived