Who Do You Think Is Responsible For The Bangkok Bombing?

Wallenda

Who do you think is responsible for the Bangkok bombing?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is responsible for the Bangkok bombing?

• ISIS
    • Uighurs
    • southern Muslim separatists
    • red shirts
    • Thaksin
    • Australian backpackers
    • crazed individual
    • another Muslim group

There were several (?) unhappy military personnel about the recent promotions.

Some in the military were responsible for the New Years bombings several years ago.

I feel, no way the Red Shirts would do such a thing to their fellow Thais. I talking the good, hard working

Isaan folks.

I feel it was some farangs, hired to carry out the bombings. Maybe hired by...I have my ideas but no proof, so I won't

even venture that way.

An interesting shoe dropped in the Bangkok "Post" this morning, on page one no less.

Of the 20 CCTV camveras placed to cover the alleged bomber's escape route, 15 of them were out of order.

If this were a TV detective show, the writers would have the lead character start asking who knew which cameras were dead.

An interesting shoe dropped in the Bangkok "Post" this morning, on page one no less.

Of the 20 CCTV camveras placed to cover the alleged bomber's escape route, 15 of them were out of order.

If this were a TV detective show, the writers would have the lead character start asking who knew which cameras were dead.

So 25% were operational then not for off the 32% operational availability recently reported in Philadelphia

http://www.viakoo.com/orphaned-video-system-in-philadelphia/

Even in Industry where CCTV is required by national and international standards availability is specified as about 75% minimum in order to comply with licensing requirements, of course a Nuclear Power Plant would have a higher figure where as a chemical storage compound lower.

There is no legal requirement for local government to install CCTV but a myriad of Data Protection Rules on the storage and use of the recorded data, in fact in the UK the vast majority of CCTV are privately operated and only a small percentage are local government operated.

As a guess I would say that government CCTV are probably only operating in the 20-40% availability at any one time where as private commercial systems (to deter / identify thieves) have a much higher availability as do the Police Camera to fleece the motorist. IMHO town and city centre CCTV systems are just an expensive placebo to pacify my middle classes whom believe that there is 100% CCTV coverage.

There were several (?) unhappy military personnel about the recent promotions.

Some in the military were responsible for the New Years bombings several years ago.

I feel, no way the Red Shirts would do such a thing to their fellow Thais. I talking the good, hard working

Isaan folks.

I feel it was some farangs, hired to carry out the bombings. Maybe hired by...I have my ideas but no proof, so I won't

even venture that way.

What about the men in black? or the bombing during the 2012 protest by Victory monument.

I don't follow Thai stuff closely (I dont' live there) but I'm pretty sure there were quite a few bombs and shootings that were obviously done by the pro-Thaksin faction. I'm sure expats there could do a better list of them.

I'm not dismissing your ideas, who knows. That could possibly be right. It's a weird country. I just don't get how what to me looks like the most obviously likely culprit is one you think shouldn't even be considered. Of course it wouldn't be Joe Farmer, no. It'd be someone more hardcore and ruthless.

In the past I've found you (Wendella) to be one of the more thoughtful posters I've seen on any Thai forum. But think you're off the mark here. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

This is a personal anecdote, but illustrates the point: I was at a dinner party last week with several Thai transplants here in Los Angeles (I'm kinda their mule when i travel, except it's not illicit contraband, just boring stuff I carry over). The lady who cuts my hair, her family, her friend's families, blah blah blah. About > 20 thais there and one falang. These people are all against Thaksin. Not a single redshirt supporter in the bunch. They went to the Flashermac school of appropriate Thai politics and etiquette. ;) (I think Thaksin is an enormous douche but am sympathetic on several levels with the redshirts).

Anyway - so we're at this function and of course the bombing comes up. One old lady wonders out loud if the redshirts were behind it. I never comment on politics with this group and am keeping quiet, curious. To my surprise several folks shut this woman's argument down as basically... incredibly fucking stupid. And the premise is an obvious one -- the Erawan shrine/spirit house is sacred to the Thais, regardless of political affiliation. Attacking this kind of target will enrage all Thais. Redhsirts have nothing to gain and everything to lose by attacking it, further the vast majority of them would be passionately against it.

The equivalent in the US would be like accusing Evangelicals of bombing christian churches to disrupt the government and further their own cause.

Anyway - am very curious to see how this pans out and what information comes to light. Once again, I could be wrong and this could be some sort of really diabolical Thaksin plot, but am skeptical. Right now it's a bonafide whodunnit.

The equivalent in the US would be like accusing Evangelicals of bombing christian churches to disrupt the government and further their own cause.

Well... Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church schooting - On July 27, 2008, Christian Right sympathizer Jim David Adkisson walked into the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church in Knoxville, Tennessee during a children’s play and began shooting people at random. Two were killed, while seven others were injured but survived. Adkisson said he was motivated by a hatred of liberals, Democrats and gays, and he considered neocon Bernard Goldberg’s book, 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America, his political manifesto.

I know, I know - not the same, but thought I'd throw it out there: weird shit does happen.

This thing is indeed a whoddunit, and everyone's trying to sort it out and get to the truth, except of course for the ones that done it.

The Erawan shrine might be beloved somehow - a talisman for the superstitious, a power-point for those who respect black magic. But it's not Buddhist, I think things that happen around there can be seen thru a complicated black magic lens by Thais. But I'm just talking, I don't know this stuff.. I agree that as a political strategy, the red shirts getting associated with an attack on a national good-luck charm would be bad (unless, of course, you were the red shirts' opponents) - so that doesn't make much sense as a red shirt move. But beyond that - I'll bet those able to connect to the Hindu deities with the right offerings and intermediaries, they might be able to negotiate circumstances with the gods that let them get away with stuff like damage to the deities shrine, because they are jealous and petty gods, and can be easily persuaded...

So, he drops the bag off the bridge - it sits on the floor of the khlong over night, and then it either accidentally blows up, the timer goes off, or it's remote-detonated? What a weird story this all is. So weird, you'd almost think: only in Thailand! Because these weird things happen all the time there (I'll bet they actually happen much more in Cambodia and Indonesia, but far fewer people around the world care about those two...)

YimSiam

Not exactly...

http://www.history.com/topics/ku-klux-klan

Founded in 1866, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) extended into almost every southern state by 1870 and became a vehicle for white southern resistance to the Republican Party’s Reconstruction-era policies aimed at establishing political and economic equality for blacks. Its members waged an underground campaign of intimidation and violence directed at white and black Republican leaders. Though Congress passed legislation designed to curb Klan terrorism, the organization saw its primary goal–the reestablishment of white supremacy–fulfilled through Democratic victories in state legislatures across the South in the 1870s. After a period of decline, white Protestant nativist groups revived the Klan in the early 20th century, burning crosses and staging rallies, parades and marches denouncing immigrants, Catholics, Jews, blacks and organized labor. The civil rights movement of the 1960s also saw a surge of Ku Klux Klan activity, including bombings of black schools and churches and violence against black and white activists in the South...