Nine killed in Thailand fireworks warehouse explosion, nearby houses destroyed

bust

Welding in a Fireworks Factory 🤔

76ffa282254f3828457da7a812c776a8?impolic

A powerful explosion has ripped through a fireworks warehouse in Thailand, killing nine people and injuring more than 100, a senior official said, as several nearby homes were levelled or damaged.

Key points:

• Preliminary investigation suggests the cause of explosion is a technical error during the steel welding process
  • Media reports as many as 500 houses were damaged by the explosion
  • Thailand has a poor safety record in the construction sector

The blast in the town of Sungai Kolok in the southern province of Narathiwat is thought to have been caused by welding during construction work on the building.

"A warehouse storing firecrackers in Sungai Kolok exploded this afternoon, the latest number is nine dead and 115 injured," Narathiwat governor Sanan Pongaksorn told AFP.

"The fire is now under control. Preliminary investigation suggests the cause is a technical error during the steel welding process, as the building is under construction."

Footage on local media showed a huge plume of smoke rising into the air and numerous shops, homes and vehicles badly damaged by the force of the blast — some ablaze and some with their roofs blown off.

AFP photos from the scene show the warehouse reduced to rubble and twisted metal.

People at the site of an explosion at a Thai firework warehouse.

The explosion wounded more than 100 people, officials say. (AP: Kriya Tehtani)

Broadcaster Thai PBS reported that as many as 500 houses were damaged by the explosion in the border town on the frontier with Malaysia.

"I was playing with my phone inside the house then suddenly I heard a loud, thunderous noise and my whole house shook," eyewitness Seksan Taesen, who lives 100 metres away from the warehouse, told AFP.

"Then I saw my roof was wide open. I looked outside and I saw house collapsing and people lying on the ground everywhere. It was chaos."

People speak on their phones in front of a house damaged by an explosion at a firework warehouse .

As many as 500 houses were damaged by the explosion, local media reports.(AP: Kriya Tehtani)

Video shot by Mr Taesen showed a scene of turmoil at a local market, with dazed locals wandering around and emergency services rushing to help.

Broken glass, roof tiles and other debris litter the ground.

Thailand has a poor safety record in the construction sector and deadly accidents are common.

Last month two people were killed when a bridge under construction in Bangkok collapsed onto traffic.

No JRA (Job Risk Assessment), No Hot Work Permit etc etc

As for “Thailand has poor safety record in the construction sector” this is partially true.

In the Oil & Gas and Energy Sectors, where construction activities are carried out to International Standards, safety records are comparable with any Western Nation and better than Middle East.

The Problem lies when companies try to cut corners and employ “Somchai and Sons General Contractors” whom turn up 10 workers piled in the back of a pick up truck all wearing steel toe capped flip flops. No idea about basic safety and I bet if you asked any where their PPE was they would show you their Buddha Amulet and give a toothless grin.