Not much in the nightlife forums

Saint Alphonso

Oh there's always fun to be had, depending on your outlook

I enjoy taking the money from my wife's Thai friends who don't understand the maths behind gambling

Plus they have some wicked humour

But here is all about darts and Nz/USA news, Trump gossip

I'd love to see us discuss Thailand

• 5 weeks later...

I haven’t checked into the site for a while but every time I do it seems the topics tend to be political and not much about nightlife. 

Spending a couple of months once again for my annual Thailand trip (celebrating my 30th year) I still cherish the memories of my first visits and those upstairs meetings in Woodstock. Very happy to still be able to enjoy the sights while appreciating how much it has changed. I do miss the company of all of my buddies who’ve not been as lucky and are no longer around to share the memories. 

• Like 1

I get the feeling the bar scene just doesn't have that addictive nature that it used to be. Where once those who were flying out from Bangkok were already planning their next trip and trying to work out how they could return as soon as possible, these days the impression I get is that the best times in the bars are very much in the past. There might just be more fun looking backwards than forwards.

• Like 1

Peak Bangkok for me was ‘97 and the SE Asia Crash through to about 2002.

It was around 2002 when I decided I had had enough of living in “Farang Ghetto” and moved out, but not too far, and found a life away from the nightlife scene.

I suppose as we grow older we want more variety in life, I don’t regret the hard years I did around the nightlife scene, but today I don’t miss it

• Like 1

Nightlife never lost its appeal for me. What happened was the scene was changed by “ amateur punters” as Sunday used to call them. Basically guys with more money than brains there for their maybe one and only trip ever. Crowds of Indians in bars pissing off the girls, mamasans and other guests.  Over all, it is just not what it once was. I’m married now, don’t get out as much and when I do, I usually just visit old friends and play pool. Good memories of a lot of good times and people, some of whom have left us for that great beer garden in the sky.  I remember my first trip in 1986, just out of the army/civil war in El Salvador…the buzz I got…spent years “chasing the dragon” to coin a term, but never quite caught it…