I've been invited to village.

Patom,

It can be a very nice experience to visit the family upcountry. It certainly is a nice change from the well known tourist spots. However, if you care about the girl, try to find out why she wants to take you home, because chances are she is serious about the relationship with you.

From personal experience, it took me one and a half years before my gf took me home. The one man she took before me, ended up as her husband. Because her marriage ended in failure, she was more than reluctant to take me home.

I was reluctant to go as well, because I knew the implications and I wasn't too sure I wanted to pursue my relationship with her. I did not go to see her family before I was absolutely positive I was serious about us.

In short, if she's a nice girl, consider the fact that she might be serious about you. If you don't reciprocate those feelings, but have no intentions to hurt her, I would advice you to politely decline the offer by saying that you and her can go "some other time" ;)

Cheers,

soongmak

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does it mean when a girl invites you to her village?

----------------------------

it means she cares a lot about you and trusts you will enjoy the experience and meeting her family. If you have doubts about the propriety of going there if you are not commiting to her, let her know about it, if she's a trying girl in other walks of life, she will also comes across to make things clear between the 2 of you. By all means, go, go, I think after you come back from that trip, you will realize that fate did not only take you to Thailand to enjoy the sun and the girls, but also to see places and people you could not have dreamt to know about, even less meet, just a few months ago.

The gift to the daughter is perfect, you do not have to put a price on that sort of thing, it's the intention. Also, you may want to ask your GF, at mid-trip, if a little cash to the mom would be well received. I know some guys will laugh at me, reading this, and greedy doodoo happens sometimes, but please, do not go there with Murphy's laws in mind, or you will always be suspicious everytime someone's heads pops in the doorway with a great smile. Issan people are the most humble, and in all my life, the humblest have always be the most generous. Go with an open heart, I have a good feeling just from the very few words you told us about your friend.

I was the first and only farang my gf brought to her village.

She was excited and affraid at the same time (what will they think of me? No one will ever believe I am with a farang, I don't want to be seen by the whole village)

She was proud to introduce me to her parents, simple rice farmers.

As others said, she looks very engaged with you, so think before you act. If you don't care for her, don't do this.

Otherwise, an eye-opener

i know more than a few guys who went up the village, and had that little ceremony there, where little bands were wrapped around the wrists.

took a while for the female part to come out with the fact that this was a wedding ceremony. ::

actually, there is no way to predict how a visit to the village will come out. you got really cool families (like the one of my missus) who don't give a rat's arse about money, and do everything to protect you from the greedier elements of the clan.

but then you also got the real scumbags who go through your luggage as soon as you arrived, try to get as much money out of you as they can.

two extremes, no way to predict what you get. you have to know the history and name of the particular village to get an idea. some villages have particular high percentages of women in the trade and married to farangs, those are often the ones to avoid if you don't want to come back with a very bad experience. there are some i have heard of in buriram, roi et and korat i would definately avoid...

generally speaking in the OK villages people are very tolerant when you make some cultural faux pas, they know you are not thai, and usually laugh about your mistakes and help you not to make them again (of course after having had the chance to laugh about you).

in the not so nice villages people might even go so far in scaring you even if your mistake was not big at all, just as a tactic to get more out of you.

my advice would be to take it slow. at first just take a hotel room in the next provincial town and check out the general athmosphere. if things are OK, you can always stay in the village. and if things turn out not to your liking you can easily get away.

Fly,

this is the first post of yours I do fully agree with. A little remark about indentured marriages would have made it a winner but I don't want to be too demanding.

In particular your advise about spending the first night in a hotel meets my utmost possible agreement; should a premature retreat of tactical nature become a matter of priority , things are easier that way.

Bbill

Archived