I've been invited to village.

imagine, you don't know shit about the place nor the language, your girlfriend tells you there is a little wellwishing ceremony, taking only half an hour, everybody is nice and friendly, you just kneel down with the girl, and people put strings on your wrist...

that is how the guys explained it to me how it happened

Amazing. Well, I guess I haven`t seen it all yet ::

"Congratulations. You are now man and wife, you may kiss the bride."

"What the F... is that guy talking about, tirac?" ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just talked to gf. She says we will stay at hotel in Nongbualampu. Says her place is 18km from there. But now I just opened email and she would like me to meet a monk who is like a father to her. Alarms are going off. It could be that she just wants me to really meet him and to show that I am good man. I hope. Do the monks usually speak english? I must make sure why we are meeting him. If we go with a crowd I guess I'm in trouble.

I honestly am looking forward to the experience of a different culture and social lifestyle.

I will be able to check this thread one more time before I leave. My last night in LOS I hope to get to Woodstock to meet some of you Friday 12/6.

Thanks for all the posts.

Patom,

I have just printed this whole thread to file it in my folder which holds the real great events on this board, I will publish them one day.

" Do the monks speak English ?" Unless it is a Westerner researching the final truth of the human existance in Nongbualampu , I think chances very low.

Better make sure nobody takes any photos, so you can always deny you have ever been there.

I sincerely hope you enjoy your trip, don't forget cash.

Bbill

Bill,

You forgot to mention that as most of these monks are acomplished kick boxers that the groom to be (whether he knows it or not) is given the choice of tying the knot with the little bits of string or going 3 rounds with the man in safron.

don't worry, meeting a monk is perfectly normal. village monks rarely do speak english, some though might very well do. going with a crowd is no problem whatsoever, people generally go with a crowd. in marriages monks come to people's houses.

just be cool, it might turn out a very interesting time.

one thing though, i guess that they girl might have her own designs on you which might very well be that she considers you husband material. i don't want to to discourage you here from anything, but just do not make any promises if you do not intend to keep them. just be fair to her. in the village, just behave the way it is considered well behaved in your own country and you should be all allright.

don't get paranoid when you don't understand something, use simple common sense, if you are not sure about something, just ask.

have a nice time there.

Hi Patom

Don`t overreact by her suggestion to see the monk.

As you probably know monks are highly respected and their opinion highly valuated.

Mayby she just wants to take you to see him to have his opinion about you. He can probably read your horoscope or mayby even your hand. And you can always do with a blessing or two. :)

Monks are probably more likely to speak english than the rest of the village. But a village monk? Probably not unless he is rather young.

Have fun and go easy on the booze. The guys will probably have you drinking Lao Khao and Lao Dtong Yaa. And this is not the place nor the time to join them in their on-going drinking sessions.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

that yaa dong stuff is particularly nasty... :p

you drink and drink, and feel a bit happy, and as soon as you stand up, you are gone...

the worst hangovers in the world. especially if one of the herbs they put in is opium (often in the borderareas)... ::

ive never been to a rural Thai village with a girl, but have trekking in north of Chiang

Mai..those places are the ultimate (stone age) tourist trap..haha

ive been to some villages & very remote remote places in Papua New Guinea north

of Australia when i was very young..i have some memories..take it as a great

experience enjoy every sight & sound,but if you dont like it, you wont be

there long, so whatever..

Archived