I've been invited to village.

"where little bands were wrapped around the wrists.

took a while for the female part to come out with the fact that this was a wedding ceremony. "

To the best of knowledge, the string tying around the wrist ceremony is not a wedding. :)

Other then that, your post is dead on. It just depends on the family and the village. Once you are sure it is ok, I say stay in the village and not hotel. Sleep on the floor, use the squat toliet, splash shower, etc.

TH

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

flyonzewll

Thanks, I think that is a great idea about staying in a hotel. After reading all these posts I think I have to make sure exactly what she thinks. I am not into hurting the feelings of any female regardless of nationality. She is taking a bus to meet me in bkk and then we are going to Chiang Mai. After a few days there we will go to Nongbualamphu where she lives. I should have to time to fiqure out what it is she wants before we go there. I guess I will have to keep my eyes open but just be my self as I as would with anyone. Watch out for strings around the wrist.

Thanks guys I think you have been helpful but also feel a little nervous.

Thanks again

"Watch out for strings around the wrist."

It is not a wedding ceremony.

If they go tie a string around the top of your head and connect to your GF's head, that could be a wedding. Traditions like these vary from village to village, but I have never heard the strings around the wrist is a wedding. To the best I can understand, it is a sort of welcome/celebration thing.

I would never dare to contridict FOW, since he speaks the language. :: But, if the the string tieing around the wrist is a wedding, then my wife's 5 year old niece is married to everyone, man, woman, and child, in the village. At her birthday party, everyone went up and tied a string around her wrist.

TH

Patom,

I wish you well, honestly. One thing you must do before you leave from Chiang Mai for Nongbualamphu is checking the weather forecast because Nongbualamphu in the mud might be a disappointment. I don't know where it is but it sounds somehow muddy in case of rain.

You don't want to take the bus from Bkk to Chiang Mai ?, for this you must be really deep in love or totally broke.

Bbill

generally, the tying strings around the wrist is just a wellwishing thing, very normal.

but, in weddings, that is also a part of the wedding. village weddings can be very informal and short, it is not even necessay for monks to attend.

i know a few guys who found out after that that little wellwishing ceremony was in fact a villagestyle wedding ::

don't worry too much though, highly unlikely that that will happen, and if, you can call yourself lucky, that means you won't have to pay kah singsot. ::

that kind of wedding of course is not a legally binding wedding, just recognised on the villagelevel.

most villagers never really bother to get their weddings registered, they could not care less about any governmental interference. they care about their clan, their village, and nothing else.

i know a few guys who found out after that that little wellwishing ceremony was in fact a villagestyle wedding

Well, it takes a little more than that to get married villagestyle.

I guess you were married villagestyle as was I, and I do recall something about being given money by everybody attending the ceremony. And I suspect that would really start off the alarm bells with just about anybody.

And there is no way you could mistake the ceremonial Paan Kan for a punch bowl ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu

nops, we are just living together, but still, in the village they see us as husband and wife.

at times the village wedding ceremonies can be very brief, all the things like monks, money-giving are not essential.

imagine, you don't know shit about the place nor the language, your girlfriend tells you there is a little wellwishing ceremony, taking only half an hour, everybody is nice and friendly, you just kneel down with the girl, and people put strings on your wrist...

that is how the guys explained it to me how it happened... ::

alarm bells? man, just look at some of the posts in that relationship sector, some people won't even see the lamp post crashing down on them... ::

Archived