I've been invited to village.

Hi,

[color:"red"] if one of the herbs they put in is opium (often in the borderareas)... [/color]

That sounds dangerous.

When I was little growing up in the North, some people put fresh Marijuana leaves in curries. The plant just grew wild and abundant in those days and many people considered it vegetable. You have got to see me and my little brother (I was around 10 so, he was only 4) eat a whole pot of rice with the curry the next door neighbor brought us. People always brought food to us to share those days, and we were hungry and could not wait for our parents to come home before we ate. We were giggling happy for hours!! My brother claimed that curry stunted his brain cells growth until today but we were sure happy!!!

Cheers! :D :D :D

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says sky brow:

your avita reminds me of darwin. WHY.

Charles actually had me in mind when he uttered those immortal words "please wash your feet before entering the gene pool"

Hi,

The neighbor who gave the curry did know that the leaves could affect us. Nothing ever happend to her kids. We were not given the curry with the leaves again though but many of her excellent dishes came our way. My mother still talks about that lady's cooking, she sure was a good cook.

Fly, one thing I noticed in Thailand is the comarade atnosphere when ones (non-thai) drink with the Thais. My husband does not drink any alcohol and it was a shock and considered strange with many Thais. What is your take on that subject?

Cheers!

I arrived this morning in Bkk. gf is coming down to meet me Wednesday very early. Fly, my thoughts exactly on behaving.

She also said I don't have to meet monk if it disturbs me. I think I would like to do it. I'm looking forward to great experience. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

i'm not a really big drinker either, but in the village i have to share a few glasses of either beer or lao khao, very important! especially when sitting down and talking about the important stuff. last time i was upcountry i was absolutely legless when sitting down with the puyai and a few elders. :p

recently i was in a rather wild area across the border, if you don't drink there that is seen as a serious insult and could result in offending people with a lot of guns at their disposal...

i don't know how i survived that, bottles and bottles of whiskey, every few minutes another round. guys showing off their guns, feeding me with bits of food i really don't wanna know where that was from...that lasted for a few days... ::

i have actually made once a big mistake a few years ago. at some other rather lawless area i did not follow the invitation to drink with some very dubious characters. and they were insulted, and that was a very uncomfortable situation. :(

Archived