Origins of Board names

bushman

There is this beatifull lake and village north of Phatalung,Southern Thailand, Thale Noi, just a few miles from the South China Sea. My dream was to disappear from earth and live there. I revisited the place and it's not that. I live now around Chumpon, but kept the nickname...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vinny Calvino is the main character in Chritopher G. Moore's detective novels. I liked the novels so I stole the name. Someday when I own my own bar on the beach I'll have a special cocktail called the Vinny Calvino. Can any of you CGM fans tell me what it will consist of?

Bushman and All,

For those who don't know, The Central Scrutinizer is the name of a whispery voiced character invented by Frank Zappa, and used in his "Joe's Garage" album. I'm a big Zappa fan, always have been since I was a teen in the late 60's. I used this name as my anon over on asfo years ago. It was changed to Cent as an abbreviation because an Aussie guy, and others, felt it was too long to use when replying to me. Cent stuck, and I've used it ever since.

Other names I went other are "St. Alphonso" on asfo, and "Mike P." over on the Thai Pussy.nu board.

Cent

"The Central Scrutinizer"

p.s. Good thread Bushman. Some interesting stories behind the names chosen.

p.p.s. Can we take the arguments over onto Private Message? Instead of cluttering up the thread with all that? Bibs? Belgian Boy? Can you guys delete your own off topic arguments from the thread?

BrownFox is from a phrase used in my line of work. In the old days of 75 baud circuits via HF hops, remote sites/stations would test the circuit (and all the systems/devices in between) by sending the test phrase "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs back" (all the letters in the alphabet are used).

Hang in there HSTEACH. But, God help you if the parents ever discover that their kids' teacher is a rampaging whore hound! shocked.gif" border="0

By the way, at the time I joined the Delphi board, I couldn't think of anything witty to name myself. You know, like spirit_of_town_hall or something. I love that name, for some reason. UPSer also is a favorite, because it flaunts pole-up-the-ass corporate "values." That guy has guts.

Oh, anyway, for my board name, I just used one of my several aliases from when I lived in Thailand. There were a lot of people, some simply a nuisance, but some dangerous, for whom I did not want to provide obvious tracks. Tom Brown was one of those aliases. (It kind of fits my non-descript appearance, and is consistent with my English ancestry.) Despite my chronic drunkeness, I have done a pretty darn good job of keeping the aliases straight. I've only been caught once, giving different names to the same person. My friends also have to go along with it, and I'll admit that they find it a bit irritating.

Let me add that it is pretty humiliating trying to explain to the personnel director at my company the reason for many of my receipts (hotel bills, etc.) bearing a name other than my own yet still being attached to my expense report. But, what's a guy to do?

smile.gif" border="0

PS--I'd kinda like to know how big of a Ford fan ol' PhordPhan is?

Archived