Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

• 1 month later...

Sinéad O’Connor has died at the age of 56, prompting grief and tributes for a singer who enchanted and at times shocked the world.

O’Connor’s family issued a brief statement on Wednesday evening announcing the death of an artist and activist who remained in the spotlight – often against her wishes – after topping the charts in 1990 with the single Nothing Compares 2 U.

“It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad,” the statement said. “Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.”

The Irish singer’s death came 18 months after her 17-year-old son Shane died after leaving a hospital while on suicide watch. O’Connor had three other children.

The news stunned the music industry and O’Connor’s native Ireland. The taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, expressed sorrow. “Her music was loved around the world and her talent was unmatched and beyond compare. Condolences to her family, her friends and all who loved her music.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, bust said:

Didn't she convert to Islam and change her name?

I remember Joe Pesci wanted to smack her in the mouth

Yes changed to Shuhada Sadaqat

The Joe Pesci / Slap comment was on SNL, Pesci was guest host on the show a week after the infamous incident when O’Connor tore up a picture of the Pope as a form of protest against the cover-ups by the Catholic Church of their sexual abuse accusations.

On his show he held up the picture pasted back together and mentioned “Giving her a Slap”

Sorry Joe, I was with Sinead on this one, ‘‘twas you who deserved the slap you righteous cunt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mekong said:

Sorry Joe, I was with Sinead on this one, ‘‘twas you who deserved the slap you righteous cunt.

Ditto 

I knew a family of Catholics very well, three gorgeous daughters...

Father? well that's a novella for another day.

Joe probably would have only been able to slap her thigh.

I had an Irish guy at work today from Dublin. According to him his cousin had a mate who was married to her for 8 weeks. They met at some party, she flew him to Vegas where they were married and spent 8 drug fucked weeks together then she just up and left :drunk: