Pattaya "suicides"

whosyourdaddy

>Given this is a problem why doesnt Stickman write an article on it for his weekly column. If it is cause for concern surely that would be the best forum to let tourists know what happens..

I dont get it ...why did Stick got into this? Neither him nor his readers needed it. Low % of readers who would know what he is talking about would have learned it from elsewhere.

My humble advice..Stick, drop it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>Maybe if there was more awareness about this situation it would not happen so much.. <<<

what awareness is not there already?

it's just a question of common sense - don't get involved in illegal businesses, and don't think that pattaya is a paradise.

but if someone refuses to use his brain than no survey will help.

some people just ask for a lesson.

but if someone refuses to use his brain than no survey will help.

-------------------------------------

Indeed, all necessary warnings are on the front pages of any guidebook, or brochures on Thailand. most people follow them still fall in love, and end up having a super-safe experience of the country. this is still one of the safest destinations in the world. safer than France or Florida....

Even the US State Department site on LOS says many tourists die mysteriously every year. I have a more personal connection with this than most. A guy in my company went to Pattaya with his boss, and came home in a box. He was 26, just got out of the Marines, and in perfect health. Last seen at 3am going to his room in the penthouse hotel with an unknown BG. Next morning he's dead. I can tell you all the crap you read about forensics and investigations is just that, crap, in Pattaya at least. It was hell finding a place to even keep the body cold enough not to decompose, and the embassy was little help. There was zero press, and no one knew anything, or at least wouldn't say so. Stick, good guy that he is, made a few inquiries but nada.

Some friends I used to travel with don't ever think about safety/security and were always in that "superparty" mode when traveling. For some reason our travel dates never match up anymore ;).

I still go and I still love it but you gotta remember where you are.

Smitty

Anyone got any stats on number of visitors/expats in Pattaya/Jomtien compared to those staying in BKK? May help explain the regular reports of "suicides."

At least the Pattaya Mail reports this stuff. Can't imagine the Bangkok Post showing the "other" side of Amazing Thailand.

Its rather worrying when one thinks about it. And just because there is a warning in books and on government web sites doesnt make it okay for people to die under mysterious conditions. One would at least expect for a proper cause of death to be established. Afterall, it could turn out to be anyone of us ending up in a box.

Maybe if there was more of a forum on the situation it would become evident if this was a small problem or just the tip of the iceberg. Given the way these things are hushed up I suspect there are more cases than we are aware of.

Says pattaya127:

but if so.

-------------------------------------

. this is still one of the safest destinations in the world. safer than France or Florida....

but not that many suicides!

Archived