Mia Noi Allowance

Mai_Mee_Fan

The nature of having a mai noi is to set her up away from family. Tucked away, out of sight from wife, bussiness, and the rest of society.... and so must the kids of these women. If not, then there would be no need to set up whole other households.....you could just build an exstention onto your house, and have everybody living together.

Given that fact, I find the situation of having kids, only to be tucked away out of sight, distrurbing. While the father may take economic care of them, he cannot really publicly agknowledge them, and all that that entails.

-------------------------------

I have to agree with JJ. The limitations you give to being a mia noi, though it may prove true in some cases, do not cover all of them. I am sure that some wives are quite aware of the other women in her husband's life, and the kids too. Could be that she does not wish to divorce, so she can still maintain her own lifestyle or simply keep her prerogatives as his bona fide wife. They may well live under an amicable arrangement of sorts.

I also think you assuming there is some kind of failure or failing to the way his other kids are raised is also passing judgement prematurely.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding of the subject tells me that it is VERY bad form for a mai noi to become pregnant. That is not part of the deal

---------------------

Really, I think we only think of the guy who maintains a young woman by the side.

May be a majority in this day and age, but the fact to have many concubines, with each giving a familial setting (kids) to the RT, is not so old in asian culture, and given a guy's wealth, and some thais are very rich, it has not become uncommon still.

I talked of one case yesterday (this thread, most likely), but It comes to my mind that a friend had introduced me to a young thai student, here in SF, whose father was a big mafia boss, my friend telling she was just one child from his many "wives".

I would not be surprised if more than a few businessmen tycoons, senators, PMs, maintain more than one family.

No stats, just talking about prerogatives some thai guys who can afford them, have....

(I sure don't mean life is rosy between all the women and the guy. Sounds like a lot of headaches to me :(;))

Rich Japanese men don't marry the Thai girls because they are already married, and have their own family. The Japanese wives know what is going on, but tolerate the husband's behaviour because they are being looked after, and they get to play around as we ll. The money usually comes from dubious sources. A lot of it came from the banks.

During the bubble economy (late 1980's to 1992) untold millions of dollars were borrowed by Japanese companies, from Japanese banks at almost zero percent interest. The bu sinessmen, usually company presidents with power, simply "invested" the money offshore, and then borrowed more and more money to service the small repayments. As the economy began to turn sour, the banks worked out that they had huge amounts of bad debts. Now the "Himilayan" like bad debts (re: Time magazine "Japan's Sob Story" Feb. 2002) are slowly being written off with tax payers money. :o :o

Archived