GTG or hustle or ????

Tiger Moth

Before I moved to BKK from Colorado in the US, I met 2 female Thai graduate students at the University. They each had boyfriends (one Thai,one farang). But, we became good friends and went to dinner, movies, concerts (the 3 of us or one of the two and myself). They were both charming and would invite me to do things with them. I could never get over or understand young ladies (many years younger than I) could be so sweet and friendly.

Recently I met a GTG here in BKK. She is her 20's and what I think of a "typical" for a Thai beauty - 155 centimeters (5'4") and 45 kg (100 lbs). I went out with her twice (she brought a girlfriend along) and I thought this is like my friendship with the grad students in the US. Not only no problem but wonderful for me. How nice to be able to go out with a charming, beautiful young lady who is just a friend.

After our 2nd night out, I invited her to my apartment (I was just being a bit flirtatious and not really serious). She said OK and came over. During the course of the night, I eventually made a pass at her and she responded so passionaltely that I almost fell over.

Just some quick "background". She had told me she came to BKK 10 years ago and put herself through University on weekends. Also, that she works for a such and such company doing sales making a very decent amount of baht per month.

Anyway, since the passionate encounter (5 days ago) I receive 3 or 4 charming e-mails a day from her (if I could be so charming I would have women falling all over me). I have been very skeptical of this and have been feeling that she is probably setting me up and will try to scam me out of whatever money I have.

On Thursday night, I received an e-mail from a guy I know in the US announcing that he had just married the Thai lady he had met on one of his trips here. To be honest, I thought he was crazy because he married in the US and is set up to lose 50% of his retirement income and possessions if his wife decides to cash in.

So, I mentioned this to my Thai language tutor when she was at my apartment yesterday. My Thai language tutor (a 29 year-old Thai lady living in BKK) then warned me about Thai women taking farangs for a ride (as has been pointed out on this board many times). She added that she has a friend that tells farangs she is working at .... but her father is sick or whatever and the farangs send her money from farangland. She added that her friend doesn't work at all except to con farangs and that she is "rich".

At this point, I thought, 3 or 4 charming e-mails a day. That's it! The beauty I met is not working except to con me and other farangs (and I also thought - no con me - I am charmed out of my mind and would willingly give you mucho baht - just tell me what you want).

Later, (duh!) I had the brilliant idea of checking out the e-mail address of my Thai beauty to verify she didn't work and was e-mailing me from home. So, I did and in her e-mail address was a company name. I did a google search on her company name and ...... the company is in the business she said.

Today I have already received 2 charming e-mails from my friend. And I am seeing her tonight.

Continually running through my head is "if it seems too good to be true, it is".

So, any thoughts on my situation and ways to know if one is being conned would be appreciated.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading too many hard luck stories of thai-farang relationships can really fuck you up. I'm the first to admit it. But think again, it's not like thai women have a mystical quality to relieve you of your money. They're only people. I'd say go full speed ahead, but do not check your brain at the door.

Use common sense and I am sure you will be allright. :beer:

Cheers,

soongmak

Remember not all Thai women are the same. Some good, some bad. Just because you've read horror stories about farangs being ripped off doesn't mean you friend is trying to do the same to you. Hell, she might actually like YOU not your money. Just keep your eyes open, watch for red flags without being overly paranoid, and enjoy the show. Time will tell on what side of the line she's on. Good luck!

Two questions...

• How many times a day do you email / 'phone her?
  • Are you trying to rip HER off?

Don't be so suspicious - you might miss out on something good.

Just use your common sense, without being paranoid.

Oh yeah, and have fun. :beer:

Dont be suspicous! To give you an idea on a GTG.

A mate of mine is here (female) working in an orphange.

She has made friends with a very well to do Good TYhai Girl same age (23) finishing UNI here.

Friday she turned to my friend and said "My boyfriend said he wonyt come out tonight when I said we should! Isn't he supposed to do what I say?"

GTG's LOVE the image of ROMANCE! The cornier the better - what would be considered kitsh in the west is the norm here!

SOOOO They also fdo things like send 50 SMS's a day, drive you crazy etc.

Enjoy!!!!!

JB

don't like to spoil the party.

but when a girl goes to me to bed after the second date already, that is awfully nice, but she is as likely to do that with any other bloke.

so, i think it ain't too bad to keep being sceptical.

just because a girl is not an outright prostitute does not mean that she might not have some other motives and scemes going on, especially here in thailand, and some of them might not be related directly to money

Archived