Anti-scene sentiment

khunsanuk

Zorro said:

It all gets a tad boring if we remain civilised the whole time.

Sometimes a bit of stirring up is good as it makes us examine our own thoughts and motivations.

As with most things it is getting the balance right but if we all agree with each other then we have nothing much to discuss.

I agree

This place would be a freaking lobotomy clinic if we all agreed and made nice.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HIGH THAIED said:

And Anti-scene sentiment on OH's part????

The poor guy is simply sharing what he is going through. Anti-setiment??? He is only sharing his experiences with us. Let's support him, and understand what he is going through. Of course, if you get burnt, you will feel bitter, which is not even his case.

Not yet, anyway. I for one, am rooting for you! :D

HT

Thanks dude! :) I don't think I ever said anything anti nightlife, I do still partake in it a bit. Just have said that to only come to LOS for cheap sex was selling it short, so much else on offer...not really anti P4P sentiment MHO anyway...

FlyW,

"well, that argument can be turned around:"

Of course it can, and you are an expert at doing so! :D

But does it need to be turned around except for the sake of argument, that's the point?

"about the ones that appear to have a need to keep everything lighthearted and "sanuk" and that way try to arrest any sort of development."

Development, who is the judge of this so-called development? You? Or KS? Or we the rest of the members of the board? The mods? Is this development an individual thing for each member? Or is it the board's development and who will direct that development? You, or KS? Must we all develop at the same pace? If the board isn't developing in a quick enough manner to your liking must you force its development to your speed and liking, rather than finding a more "mature" board more to your own liking. ("Your" not meaning you specifically FW) The board is made up of many individuals who all are in different stages of development in their relationship with the country and people of Thailand. There is no one "correct" way to approach this relationship. It's a personal thing. You do it your way, I do it my way, neither way is better than the other, it is just better for us as an indivdual. There really is nothing to argue about really, it's about the "sharing" of the experience. We learn from each other, but some teachers are bigoted, know-it-all assholes and pontificating blowhards and boring fucks, and some do it in a more amusing, interesting and non argumentative way that brings in the sanuk factor we all would love to see and feel on here. We are a group of guys with some common interests who want to chat and get some info. We are not a fucking debating society, we are a discussion group. There is a great big difference between discussion and debate. Discussion is nice, a civil sharing of information and opinions and the like, debate is nothing more than and ego rubbing argument where two or more egotistical twats try to prove once again that they are right and someone else is wrong, to the dtriment of the thread they usually barged in on. That ain't discussion, and that ain't sanuk for most of the rest of us." What ticks me off the most is most of the "constant debaters" rarely start an interesting thread of their own,they usually hijack someone elses thread and start their ego boosting battles once again, fucking up a perfectly good thread and turning off other emembers and posters who once again say "Why bother. The idiots are at each others throats again and the thread is fucked once again."

BTW Fly, we are allowed to say "fuck" on this board. What we aren't allowed to say is "fuck you", as that is personal and would be a flame. Why you bring up someones use of this word is a bit mystifying to me. Are you our mother now, chiding us for our rough language? ::

"and that has put off many posters with a huge wealth of knowledge anybody could learn from. i, for example, do very much miss the posts of orandanodes, the maybe most knowledgable poster, maybe not on the barscene, but definately on things thai we have had."

Yep, I miss Oran too. An excellent poster. Maybe he left because he was sick of all the fucking arguing and trashed threads? :D Or maybe it was the harsh language that did it? ::

Cent

p.s. In case some can't see through the occassional sarcasm this is a sanuk post and I am trying to further the discussion here and joke about a bit with the Flyster. We, some of us here, are sometimes too thin-skinned and quick to take offense. WE are the world. There are many language speakers here all trying to speak English, which may not be their first language. It would behoove us to cut each other some slack most times before taking offense at anothers posts.

FW and all,

"i agree that new posters are important, but i haven't seen much "newbie bashing" other than the obvious trolls,"

It's not so much newbie bashing, rather it is the argumentive atmosphere that scares peopleaway. It is anti-sanuk. Most want to have fun, not debate FlyW, or JJ, or Thai3, and a few others here for the umpteenth time, or watch you and a few other go at it once again for the umpteenth time. It IS "my sanuk" in my humble or not so humble opinion. Or have their thread hijacked for the umpteenth time and turned into another constant debate. A first time reader just joining the board will most likely say, well, here it is, another board full of opininated wankers who want to impose their ideas on everyone else and argue with everyone who doesn't agree with them, always wanting the last word, and always making the board a not so fun place to visit. You want to debate? Join a fucking debating team on line.

"or the sad MM affair (a nasty sort of mobbing where the "sanuk fraction" took at least as much part as the "non-sanuk fraction")."

Yes, and I myself didn't like this either. I considered him harmless. People like this, the trolls or just plain pests should just be ignored really. Without an audience most will go away and play elsewhere.

"i think you do exagerate a bit here."

In what way do I exaggerate here FlyW? Explain this statement please.

Cent

>>>Development, who is the judge of this so-called development?<<<

not me. i just observe it. t'was you guys who complained. ;)

i actually do enjoy the board nowadays far more than when every second post was a blow job thread, or when i got flamed when i dared to post that in cambodia's prostitution scene not all is perfectly sanuk and dandy.

and no, i have no secret conspiracy going on to change the direction of the board. even if some might believe that. ;)

>>>We are not a fucking debating society, we are a discussion group. There is a great big difference between discussion and debate.<<<

yeah, well, the lines are a bit grey there. things tend to get a bit tougher when completely opposing opinions clash. cannot be avoided at times.

the only thing i can say is that i do enjoy the occasional heated discussion, but rarely the debates. but for the sake of "sanuk" i do not/will not hide my opinions. i may adapt to thailand to some extend, but that does not mean that i have to become some unconfrontational vegetable. ;)

shygye said:

IMHO the Bang na thread illustrates what is wrong with the board. You think a newbie after reading that thread would want to post his/her experiences? :(

Shygye,

Yes,good example! After a while it just becomes a pissing match.It almost seemslike the arguments and people debating and arguing don't even read what the hell the other guy is writing! Or at least there seems to be a lack of comprehension due to wanting to "win" the argument.

Cent

I've just been through all the posts on this thread and I must admit to being a little confused. It started because KS is worried about the traffic and thinks the board has moved away from sanuk and nightlife?

I have to say I'm a 'post what the hell you want' kind of guy (without insulting anybody). What is a sanuk post anyway? Does balcony jumping in Pattaya qualify? Getting ripped off by a Thai cop? Or trying to sell a motorbike? There's all kind of posts here....if somebody's fed up with the go-go scene what's wrong with saying so? I like what Zorro and Uniform Guy have to say. I also like Fly's posts. He doesn't scare me.

Still think you need some new blood KS. Some of us have been round the block too many times.... :)

I guess a hot young newbie stud fresh off the plane reading all this crap would probably think we're just a bunch of introspective old farts...wait (as OH would say) I am an introspective old fart... :)

>>>In what way do I exaggerate here FlyW? Explain this statement please.<<<

about the board not being "sanuk" anymore. by far not every thread is "highjacked" by debates.

may be for you personally it is not so sanuk anymore, but it appears that there are many others who do like it as it is. what makes your opinion more worth than anyone else's?

here in this case i have to say that i completely agree with JJsushi.

i think the board is just fine, reflects a multitude of opinions, the logical occasional clash, but it keeps being interesting. if too many like minded people form some mutual appreciation society the place will bore to death everyone.

Fly and all,

"not me. i just observe it. t'was you guys who complained."

Well, there are concerns the board is stagnating, less new members, older members goign away and not posting anymore.It needs to ne addressed or the board will go the way of other formerly decent and fun Thai related message boards. This is what we don't want to happen,and at least here we can discuss this with the owner, the mods and the members. I'm glad KS started this thread so we can hear EVERY MEMBERS opinions and thoughts. Not just yours and mine. (So this will be my last post in this thread, I think. ::)

"i actually do enjoy the board nowadays far more than when every second post was a blow job thread,"

Certainly I do myself as well. There is much more to this board than P4P sanuk. I myself haven't indulged in the P4P in quite a few years, but enjoy others tales and anecdotes at times, and like the occassional well written and amusing trip report or newbie dilemma. But really, this is the reason there are so many different forums on here. Something for everyone to check out and become involved with. The site is a font of info, and has nearly everything for everyone's tastes and needs.

"or when i got flamed when i dared to post that in cambodia's prostitution scene not all is perfectly sanuk and dandy."

Maybe some thought you were taking down to them or preaching about something you know nothing about? I don't know. I don'r remember the thread or experience you are referring to. But is this from personal experience you know these things?Like, have you ever been to Cambodia and indulged in the P4P scene there? Or were these just your own opinions?

"and no, i have no secret conspiracy going on to change the direction of the board. even if some might believe that."

I don't think anyone has every thought or said this? What has been thought and said is that maybe you can be a bit less "strident" in your "discussions", which seems to now be the case, and I am glad this is so, as I have said many many times to others you are a valuable member for this board. I just wish you'd argue/debate less and give us more personal anecdotes and show how you come to your conclusions and perspective by giving us something other than debate. I'd love to read about your experiences is what I am saying, as I feel many others would as well.

>>>We are not a fucking debating society, we are a discussion group. There is a great big difference between discussion and debate.<<<

"yeah, well, the lines are a bit grey there. things tend to get a bit tougher when completely opposing opinions clash. cannot be avoided at times."

A lot Fly has to do with condescending attitudes and talking down to people as though their opinion means shit and yours is the one and only true way. I'm not saying this to be a jerk or an asshole, just as an observation. Attitude has a lot to do with making these differences apparent.

"the only thing i can say is that i do enjoy the occasional heated discussion, but rarely the debates."

Coulda fooled me! :D

"but for the sake of "sanuk" i do not/will not hide my opinions."

No one is asking you to. What is being asked by KS is that they be expressed in a more sanuk or respectable manner and that other members feelings and opinions be considered and the atmosphere in general of the threads and the board itself be considered.

"i may adapt to thailand to some extend, but that does not mean that i have to become some unconfrontational vegetable."

Hahahaha! Well, I think we'll never have to worry about that happening! :D

I agree Fly. But no one is asking us to become sanuk zombies. (I'm same as you. I have a right to my own opinions and the right to express them as well, as we all do here), and I've been known to lose my cool once in a while myself when the heat rises. I know I am no saint here as well, but I usually know when to back off, and I try to limit myself in a thread lately. Once you've expressed your opinions for others to see there really isn't much else to say or do except argue or debate over them! :D What is preferred is a civil discussion on the merits of what we have stated, and some slack on occasion. We all make mistakes, we all post something off the wall on occasion, we all are not always in the best of moods (or even sober sometime, although I think drinking and posting is a recipe for disaster in most cases.)

And after all is said and done, it is just a discussion board here. No one is keeping score, the mods ain't geting paid, and we all have some connection through our love for Thailand and it's people, or its cheap pussy as some would say, or its culture, or its ladyboys, or its weather and beaches, its good exchange rates, cheap hotels, excellent inexpensive foods, its whatever it is that draws you there and keeps you there.

Cent

Cent says:

All a bit too serious, judgemental, biased and confrontational now-a-days. This board is basically a board on sanuk, be it p4p, straight scene, bar scene, gogo, disco, places to meet, eat, drink and have fun, tourist and expat alike. Let's try to get back to the sanuk, and tell the miserable grumpy grouchy argumentative arseholes to chill out or take a fucking hike elsewhere. This board has an area of interest a forum, for just about every subject and, topic of interest, or obsession for all to enjoy the board. I am so tired of the hypocrites and reformed ex-whoremongering evangelists who seem to want to change the board into their own image of how to approach the sanuk scene in the LOS. To each their own I say. Obey the board rules and have fun. That's what this is all about. Bit tired of all the debates as well. The guys who have to challenge every fucking post and every part of every post. Lighten the fuck up dudes. It's a freaking discussion board, not a fucking debate society here. If it ain't fun, if every post by a new poster just gets attacked and torn apart it just ain't fun and why the hell would anyone want to read and post here. Personally I feel a few older posters have come to the conclusion that this is their board and they have some moral right to preach, debate, deride, chide and argue with everyone and everything they don't agree with. The board is free, everyone is an EQUAL member here. Stats and number of posts don't mean shit here. I've seen posters here with posts in the thousands, and maybe ten were decent, interesting and on topic and revelent and sanuk posts, all the rest is just garbage and numbers. Posting just for the sake of posting, or the sake of argument. I agree with KS, the anti-P4P brigade needs to get off their high horses and remember from whence they came to this board and what they have done themselves over the years. Let the newer guys enjoy themselves and tell their experiences and pass on the relevent info, anecdotes, stories and such for all to enjoy, or even ignore. New blood revitalizes the board, old blood tends to get stale, crotchety and boring. Lighten up guys. Sanuk!

The board is made up of many individuals who all are in different stages of development in their relationship with the country and people of Thailand. There is no one "correct" way to approach this relationship. It's a personal thing. You do it your way, I do it my way, neither way is better than the other, it is just better for us as an indivdual. There really is nothing to argue about really, it's about the "sharing" of the experience. We learn from each other, but some teachers are bigoted, know-it-all assholes and pontificating blowhards and boring fucks, and some do it in a more amusing, interesting and non argumentative way that brings in the sanuk factor we all would love to see and feel on here. We are a group of guys with some common interests who want to chat and get some info. We are not a fucking debating society, we are a discussion group. There is a great big difference between discussion and debate. Discussion is nice, a civil sharing of information and opinions and the like, debate is nothing more than and ego rubbing argument where two or more egotistical twats try to prove once again that they are right and someone else is wrong, to the dtriment of the thread they usually barged in on. That ain't discussion, and that ain't sanuk for most of the rest of us." What ticks me off the most is most of the "constant debaters" rarely start an interesting thread of their own,they usually hijack someone elses thread and start their ego boosting battles once again, fucking up a perfectly good thread and turning off other emembers and posters who once again say "Why bother. The idiots are at each others throats again and the thread is fucked once again."

Cent, this is fucking poetry!! Seriously!

Ladies and gentleman, we have a new Constitution.

If this is too long, my yakitori vendor quickly summarized it as follows:

"Emperor say Samurai no informative nor entertaining needs naughty time mores."

And does your Thai wife/GF wash your undies?

Do you enjoy Christmas shopping? :bow::neener:

Archived