Farang on Suk Soi 19 on his last legs

MaiLuk

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dinkas said:

What problems are you talking about here? A dispute with your hotel/travel agent? Disagreement about the price of something at a bar/restaurant? Or do you mean something more serious like, being robbed?

Well the case I was referring to was a Brit who obviousely was dying, had enough money to live on, but not to pay for a hospital bill. I contacted the family who refused to pay one pound.

Now do you as a human being leave the guy suffering in his bed at home? I know some on this board just tell: let him rot away, no compassion from me. Embassies are instructed to do the same.

Sorry, but I could not. With an other farang we got him into a hospital where he was relieved from his pains.

I repeat: the only thing the british embassy did was to contact the family, which I did two months earlier.

The guy died, no one cared, his corpse was never claimed.

The hospital went after the gf to pay the bill.

thalenoi wrote

[color:"red"] "Now do you as a human being leave the guy suffering in his bed at home? I know some on this board just tell: let him rot away,...." [/color]

That reflects how harden some become after being here for awhile. Some even go to the point of laughing about people who do try to help others. :scared: Sad but true. :scared:

Hi,

"But someone who has lost the plot, and just needs help?"

HT, the problem is where does it end? Say they do ship him back to the States, then what? Do they buy him a house as well? Give him money for the rest of his life?

Also, what does the government do for those who have lost the plot in your own country? Should it give them shelter and care as well? Again, for the rest of their life?

BTW, why is this guy more deserving of help than say an orphan in Zimbadwe? A homeless drifter in Switzerland? A ....

In a perfect world this guy would (and should) receive all the help he can get, but we are not living in a perfect world and we cannot help everybody.

Sanuk!

Hi Zaad,

>>>You mustn't forget that embassies do not make their own set of rules and laws, they merely abide by them...afaik.

Or am I wrong?<<<

Sure they do (make their own rules). It's why they are there. To make decisions based on first-hand information, that can only be gleamed, and determined, from actually being on the ground there. They alone, determine what is deemed important, and what is not. And what is to be passsed on to higher-ups, for further concideration.

HT

HT,

Sure they do (make their own rules).

I very much doubt they don't have restrictions on those.

And of course..as KS mentioned..where does it end and how to line up priorities in order of importance to everybody's liking and convenience? Not an easy task to say at least.

Hi KS,

>>>>>>>HT, the problem is where does it end? Say they do ship him back to the States, then what? Do they buy him a house as well? Give him money for the rest of his life?<<<<<<

No....they treat him as anyone else in their country, with the same problems. Does he need mental health treatment? Then he should be entitled to it, just like anyone else, in their respective home country.

>>>>>>Also, what does the government do for those who have lost the plot in your own country? Should it give them shelter and care as well? Again, for the rest of their life?<<<<<

Yea, if warranted. As for US, I feel that is sticks it's nose in too many places that it's not asked to. It not my job to save the entire world, as a US taxpayer. But is my job, as a citizen here, to help a fellow citizen if in trouble oversea's. In my simple mind, that needs to come first. We should then tackle everyone's else's problems, *after* that. Not before it. Make sure your own house is in order first. Then, if you have the resources to go save the rest of the world, then great. But if every country would just take care of their own first, we would not have these problems. Farang guy on soi 19 has fallen through the cracks, because of this crap.

>>>BTW, why is this guy more deserving of help than say an orphan in Zimbadwe? A homeless drifter in Switzerland? A ....<<<

He's not! They are all deserving of the utmost help from their respective governments. The orphan in Zimbabwe is no less deserving, than the drifter in Switzerland.

>>>>In a perfect world this guy would (and should) receive all the help he can get, but we are not living in a perfect world and we cannot help everybody.<<<<

Maybe KS, but it's got to start somewhere. And that somewhere begins with embassies addressing problems, and making an effort. Christ....they don't have to do a thing, other than putting out the word to their respective countries, that a fellow citizen is in trouble. His fellow man will do the rest, as can be seen by compassion shown everywhere, in every country.

Having my Embassy close their doors to a fellow citizen oversea's, who is in need of help, is totally unacceptable to me. And should be for anyone else. It's no more complicated than that.

Have a problem with a citizen abroad? Bring him/her back home, and deal with it like you do with anyone else in a given position, back home. It's a concept called "taking care of your own first". They refuse help? Then let them hang. But they are not the one's falling between the cracks. The guy on soi 19 is, and there is no one to pick him up. And there is something wrong with that, and also with the embassy that is responsible for him. And they are responsible for him, wether they like it, or not.

How can you possibly foster good relations with another country, when you won't even take responsibilties for your own citizens there? That is just plain irresponsibility, taken to the extreme, IMO.

HT :soapbox:

"Sure they do (make their own rules)."

Where do you get this stuff?

In the US, the State Department makes the rules. For example, if the US wanted to create a welfare program for destitute citizens travelling abroad, that would come from the state department after some form of budget approval committee debate and congressional approval.

I, for one, am certainly not unsympathetic towards people like this. I just disagree with those who think the Govt. should be dealing with the social problems of their citizens travelling abroad. This kind of help is more fitting for an NGO or charitable organization, either of which we as individuals may choose to donate to if we think the cause is worthy.

HIGH THAIED said:

Yea, if warranted. As for US, I feel that is sticks it's nose in too many places that it's not asked to. It not my job to save the entire world, as a US taxpayer. But is my job, as a citizen here, to help a fellow citizen if in trouble oversea's. In my simple mind, that needs to come first. We should then tackle everyone's else's problems, *after* that. Not before it.

Why is he more deserving than any one of the 100's of 1000's of kids IN THE STATES who go hungry every day. Start with them. Ahhh, they are just little black kids of welfare moms in the ghetto of some rust belt city (or maybe some snot-nosed trailer-trash white kids, no matter) so you can't identify, right? But crazy farang stuck overseas could be you, chai mai? Naw dude, you need to get priorities straight IMHO.

This guy chose to travel abroad, obviously had enough money/education/initiative to do that, so if he bollocks it up, tough shit. I feel bad for him, but there are many many more people deserving of my taxpayer cash who are stuck in situations beyond their control/making.

I am sure that he will take a plane ticket if you buy it for him. But likely not use it except to trade it in at pennies on the dollar for more shit to feed his habit.

Yeah, maybe I'm cold. But I'm right.

Cheers,

SD

Archived