sinsott question

thai3

Hi Shyguy,

I said before....I really don't know specifics. It's an expensive college, as is private owned, and there is no such thing as an inexpensive college anywhere.

There are many other factors.....books, food, mobile phone, transportation, Uniforms, graduation expenses, etc. Many of this stuff was supplied before on her own, as she worked, be for entering Rangsit.

Was no doubt was a great hardship for a common Thai family to accomplish. Think what you want, but the place is not cheap for a regular Thai family to put their daughter through.

HT, do you consider this expensive?

In my terms?..No. In their's......Yes, very. It was a very hard accompishment for them. I'm sorry you can't appriciate that, but I sure can. And also can appreciate for any others who have that kind of dedication for their kids. I'm sorry you can't understand that.

It's all relative, and not about the actual dollar amount, because is not important.

Mai pen rai. I'm not even going to get into a battle over this. I went there with tirak to get final papers. It's a very nice campus, and impressive to me, that family would go through hardship to send her there. I'm not about to belittle my gf because she didn't pay enough for you.

End of story, shyguy.

HT

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

What class of family/income level send there kids to Yale or Cambridge?, life is expensive in Cambridge (not counting paying for the teaching and all the extras needed) for most people, they must have some serious dough to send the kids here!

Hi LP,

It's all relative. That's my whole point. You do what what you can do, with what is available to you. And not a whole lot more than that.

HT

Hi Snowdrop,

I want to tell you that I appriciate you sharing here with us. I like to hear from you. And you have a good thing to offer.

If your're not a troll (haaa), you have good things to bring here.

Thanks for speaking you mind, and being honest. I really do appriciate your honesty with your relationship.

Don't be afraid to come here. But just watch out for a guy named "BB:. He's really wierd! Just kidding......Actually, he's one of the good guys. :)

But I have to go back to work now. :: But stick around......I'll be back. And enjoy lurking around in the mean time. Take care.........HT

HT

Anything is expensive if you don't have the dosh to pay for it. The tuition i pay for one chick to go to a private uni in BKK is roughly about 80,000bt per year. Not many regular Thais can afford a tuition of 80,000bt per year and then when you add on living and other expenses that really causes the cost for attending school to skyrocket. Compare this to the tuition fees of 3000bt per year I pay for another chick to go to Rama.

Peanuts for me but I would fathom expensive for the majority of Thais.

HIGH THAIED said:

Hi Shyguy,

I said before....I really don't know specifics. It's an expensive college, as is private owned, and there is no such thing as an inexpensive college anywhere.

That is not true. There is a college in Georgia where the students work on a farm (owned by the college) to pay college costs. I went to a "cheap" state uni. Probably 5% of the cost to attend Harvard but ranked in the top 1%. In other countries the government pays the cost. You just have to pass the entrance exams.

There are many other factors.....books, food, mobile phone, transportation, Uniforms, graduation expenses, etc. Many of this stuff was supplied before on her own, as she worked, be for entering Rangsit.

These things are "cheap" also. I notice you do not provide any objective data on these costs.

Was no doubt was a great hardship for a common Thai family to accomplish. Think what you want, but the place is not cheap for a regular Thai family to put their daughter through.

HT, do you consider this expensive?

In my terms?..No. In their's......Yes, very. It was a very hard accompishment for them. I'm sorry you can't appriciate that, but I sure can. And also can appreciate for any others who have that kind of dedication for their kids. I'm sorry you can't understand that.

I understand that quite well. I worked a job while attending college and worked during the summer. Some of my friends did a co-op, work one semester attend classes the next semester.

It's all relative, and not about the actual dollar amount, because is not important.

Why don't you tell them that when sin sot is mentioned. ;)

Mai pen rai. I'm not even going to get into a battle over this. I went there with tirak to get final papers. It's a very nice campus, and impressive to me, that family would go through hardship to send her there. I'm not about to belittle my gf because she didn't pay enough for you.

Belittle?!? I never said ANY such thing. All I asked for were the actual costs of attending college. This was to base the amount of sin sot on the amount paid for your TG to attend college, ie, the families sacrifice.

End of story, shyguy.

HT

Remember you were the one that said repaying the college costs as sin sot would be too expensive. :doah::grinyes:

Quote:

>>>>>>>>HIGH THAIED said:

Hi Shyguy,

I said before....I really don't know specifics. It's an expensive college, as is private owned, and there is no such thing as an inexpensive college anywhere.<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>Shyguy said:

That is not true. There is a college in Georgia where the students work on a farm (owned by the college) to pay college costs. I went to a "cheap" state uni. Probably 5% of the cost to attend Harvard but ranked in the top 1%. In other countries the government pays the cost. You just have to pass the entrance exams.<<<<<<<

----------------------------------

In Thailand? Bangkok? That would be nice, but doesn't hold any reality for being enrolled into a private college there. JJ said it quite well. You can't just look at the tuition. It's the skyrocketed costs associated with the whole endeavor. Especially in Thailand. Before that, she was working, and contributing back to the family. While going to school though, every move she made, had to be 100% funded by someone...for years.

Her sister is going to college now, and gf contributes to it, along with parents. It's a fucking true hardship on them...period! The percentage of their baht earned to accomplish that, connot be compared to the West. A Thai family has no less trials and tribulations putting a child through college there, than any other, if not more so. Mother selling orange juice all weekend long sounds suspect to you? It paid gf's mobile bill, food, and spending money while there. Mother didn't do it for fun. She spent 10 hours a day every Sat. and Sun. to make it all happen. And the extra baht brought in from that, was substantial, in Thai terms.

Rangsit is private college, and is expensive as hell for an average Thai family to put their kids through, paying tuition, room and board, and all other associated costs.

Sin sot related? Please note was not my idea to equate sin sot costs with that (in fact....it was yours). I did say that that might be too expensive for me. But I wasn't looking at just the dollar amount, Shyguy. I was looking at the years parents invested in their child, and then have to give like-wise, back to them.

But that's getting a bit out of the scope of things. They didn't struggle to give their child a college education as an investment, in terms of a possible sin-sot payout. In knowing them as I do, they did for the same reason any parent would do. They love their kids very much, and would have done the same, even if the concept of sin-sot did not even exist there.

HT

[color:"green"] And the extra baht brought in from that, was substantial, in Thai terms. [/color]

And how much was that? No numbers just vague terms like expensive or substantial. Your GF should know how much her sisters college costs are since she is paying part of it. So how much baht is it? I know, I know, expensive. :grinyes:

I was fortunate when i went to University in Australia that there were no fees.

In fact i actually got an Austudy allowance.

When I did my Masters a few years a back I had to pay 6000 dollars for the privilege and now that same course is 15000 dollars. Higher education is big business these days and I believe after seeing the quality of the work of many of the Masters candidates that academic standards have dropped off as a result. Who is going to fail someone who is paying big bucks for a course?

The other big scam is the overseas student industry in Australia. These students pay ridiculously high fees and the academic standards of many of the students is quite poor. Nonetheless they have to be really pathetic to fail. So they come away with a Uni degree from a western country. The smart ones use these degrees as leverage to get immigration back into western countries.

Tertiary education is a risky propostition these days. By the time you graduate you might be in your mid twenties with a huge debt and because competition for jobs is so tight you may not ever get anything in your field or anything that pays particularly well.

Archived