Stickman this week regarding violence .

jitagawn

jjsushi said:

I am sure u said some interesting things above but I wouldn't know because I have not read your post. My eyes glazed over when I saw the length of ur reply.

Dude you have got to quit with the 1001 snippets. I don't have the time nor the energy to address them. I thought I told u this before? Plus once u start snipping everything you lose context- no one ever told u that? Keep your posts concise and maybe I will read them and respond so that we can have an intelligent debate. Otherwise I just won't read them. The choice is yours.

What a cheeck! And this is already the second time that you come up with such lame excuse!

Quoting and dividing the post per arguments and points is the most efficient and quick way to discuss in writings, this is the reason for which it's the normal way to discuss on message boards and newsgroups.

And this is also the reason for which YOU have been doing exactly so (ie "snipping") all along this thread.

As an example, just reread your post #426620

BTW, judging by the sheer number and lenght of your posts, what you lack is neither the time nor the energy so find a better excuse, if you have to.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
khunsanuk said:

Hi,

So, then what is your point?

Sanuk!

The point is simple, you don't see the teenage grandaughter of the head of BKK police getting killed in a drive by. If it did what would the reaction be? Would it be a blurb in the press? Would people not care? In LA it was a yawn because violence is part of the social fabric and people are desensitized. After all in an extremely violent society such as Thailand as Fig and his companions mention that type of death would just be par for the course.

FIGJAM said:
jjsushi said:

I am sure u said some interesting things above but I wouldn't know because I have not read your post. My eyes glazed over when I saw the length of ur reply.

Dude you have got to quit with the 1001 snippets. I don't have the time nor the energy to address them. I thought I told u this before? Plus once u start snipping everything you lose context- no one ever told u that? Keep your posts concise and maybe I will read them and respond so that we can have an intelligent debate. Otherwise I just won't read them. The choice is yours.

What a cheeck! And this is already the second time that you come up with such lame excuse!

Quoting and dividing the post per arguments and points is the most efficient and quick way to discuss in writings, this is the reason for which it's the normal way to discuss on message boards and newsgroups.

And this is also the reason for which YOU have been doing exactly so (ie "snipping") all along this thread.

As an example, just reread your post #426620

BTW, judging by the sheer number and lenght of your posts, what you lack is neither the time nor the energy so find a better excuse, if you have to.

No lame excise because there is nothing to excuse. I simply stated how I would interact with you. I refuse to read through 1001 snippets in one freaking post. The context is totally lost or has that concept escaped you?

Actually there is no comparison. Your pretty anal about it. I just take large chunks and reply to them. At least you are now getting the point.

Your move homey!

Stickman said:

I could not disagree more. All of the expats on here know about the situation in the West because that is where we all come from originally. And when we mention violence in Thailand we are not necessarily comparing it with the West. Some of us are simply stating that things are CHANGING and in some of our opinions, GETTING WORSE. A number of us also feel that THAILAND IS NOT AS SAFE as some people seem to think. Sure, the heavily touristed areas during the day are generally very safe, but at night things can be different. And many of Bangkok?s suburbs, look out. SOME SUBURBS CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS.

Stick

PS Sorry for the caps, but I felt it important to highlight the key points.

Aside from my view on expats views of violence in the west, please tell me where we disagree? I never argued that Thailand was not getting worse or more violent than in the past. I simply stated that violence in Thailand is not much different than in anything I have seen in the States. What I have seen in the States is much worse than anything I have heard here. Every talks about machetes as if they are so frightening, shit take your butt up to Washington Heights in NYC and the local Domincan population will pull some machetes on u too. Trust me if those machete wielding Thai could afford the guns and ammunition they would be carrying semi-automatics instead like their counterparts in teh States. Which is why I feel safer in Thailand as a foreigner.

Your fellow expat Fig is the one that paints the picture that Thailand is violent country ready for a peoples revolution and the disenfranchised villagers will be marching on BKK to pillage, loot and kill.

jjsushi said:

No lame excise because there is nothing to excuse. I simply stated how I would interact with you. I refuse to read through 1001 snippets in one freaking post. The context is totally lost or has that concept escaped you?

Actually there is no comparison. Your pretty anal about it. I just take large chunks and reply to them. At least you are now getting the point.

Your move homey!

I thought I was dealing with adults capable and willing to hold complex conversations over complex arguments.

I am not interested in lowering the level of the discussion and oversimplifying my arguments in order to overcome your shortcomings or unwillingness to spend as much time and energy as those replies have cost me.

I don't know your ex GF but perhaps no increase of violence has occured in her circle

------------------------------

well her circle includes Pattaya ::, as you know. But i explained the point i was making already.

I also think that from where she comes from, poor, violence and exploitation is hardly something new to her, one cannot ask her to take the POV of a farang who has never been in her shoes.

How about yourself

----------------------------

What I don't know, learning from people who know, and what I know, from experience, and criss-crossing experience with the usual curiosity, thru medias, like the people you mention, and other books.

From what I can tell, stuff that I know is never in contradiction with what longer residents (the ones with a decently functioning brain ::) and thais say. What i often dispute here is the farang POVs on the culture, and the fact it often comes up, as and only as a rant.

You know, I make Picasso's quote mine: "answers don't interst me as much as questions".

thanks for answering this one, BTW.

I don't get into trouble with Thai in general because I do know what to avoid.

----------------------------------

That's what it all comes down to. That's me too, right there. Anyone staying anywhere must do that ::

And you are right to say "what to avoid", it's not where, but knowing what to do, and recognize it when things may turn unsavoury. I think in thailand, there is ample time for someone to think twice, and adopt the right attitude.

buddha said:

jjsushi: "Just the other day at a celebrity party for the MTV video awards a record producer was shot and wounded in the party. The party was attended by the likes of Eddie Murphy(major movie star), Paris Hilton(billionaire heiress Hilton hotels) and other celebrites. You tell me where the hell that would happen in Thailand where the biggest celebrites are exposed to a gunman at a highly secure party. One of Charlerms sons puts a bullet in the head of an off duty cop @ a bar and all of you guys are moaning about the extreme uptick in violence in Thailand. Come back and live in the West for a few years and then tell me about how unsafe Thailand is."

This is such a bad example that I gotta call bullshit on just about everything you relate on urban America. I am not trying to bash, but anyone with a perfunctory knowledge of 'the hood' [east coast - west coast - any urban environment in America today] would never have used this as an example.

First of all Marion 'Suge" Knight is a gagster and a thug. He has spent more time in federal prison over the last ten years than outside, and he uses his gang affiliations [bLOODS] to strong arm associates throughout the music industry. When he was to be realeased from prison Interscope Records had a slew of undercover cops roaming the halls because he is both: marked for death and reknowned for his violence in dealing with people who have 'crossed' him. He cannot escape mention as the force behind the slaying of Tupac and the Notorious B.I.G. and is the guy who held vanilla Ice [total dork] off of a balcony by his ankles until Ice agreed to a publishing deal with interscope owned death row records.

The fact that Suge Knight was shot the other night is no surprise to anyone who has any 'real' knowledge of what is going on in Hip Hop or urban America.

His appearance at this party was probably not welcomed by any of the celebrities you mentioned, and he probably just rolled in with his set. It's just that because he is such a hard core 'gangsta' unlike a the majority of hip hop stars. I bet a lot of people kissed his ass and beat it the hell away from him as fast as they could.

In addition to this being a really bad example, in that it isn't surprising at all, I take issue with some of the things you mention:

You refer to Suge as a record producer. It sounds like you read that of of some 'mainstream' news site as no one who has any real knowledge of him would refer to him as a record producer. Dre produced almost everything out of Death Row, Suge got peoples names on contracts and made people [radio, club, and record store placement] play their shit.

I mean if you really know what you are talking about, whats happening culturally in urban america today, you wouldn't be surprised if Suge Knight got shot at the White House. The real surpise is that the guy is still breathing. A complete target.

Oh and if Suge happens to visit Thailand and gets shot it's not cause thailand is getting more violent. It's because he has lots of enemies. When he does get popped it will be no surprise to anyone.

Are you f@cking serious? Dude I am revoking any semblance of a ghetto pass you may have stolen from someone. Sounds like you copped your post out of Newsweek magazine. Don't you ever post some crap like this again!

The party was an event attended by aome of the top celebrities @ the MTV awards. They had massive security there. That shooting was nowhere near the norm.

For all of your supposed knowledge about Suge you don't even know if it was gang related. For all we know it could have been some cat upset that Suge had his sister give him a BJ and then pissed in her mouth.

My point was simply that when you have a major event with high profile celebs in attendance shootings are not the norm. The cat was not shot outside the club the cat was shot INSIDE the club. You don't see this type of shit in Thailand. Period. Yet in America this type of high profile violence is becoming more and more prevalent.

Remember when celebrities used to take the paparrazi's cameras and smash them? Now they kick the shit out of the photographers.

jjsushi said:

Your fellow expat Fig is the one that paints the picture that Thailand is violent country ready for a peoples revolution and the disenfranchised villagers will be marching on BKK to pillage, loot and kill.

Since you said that you are not reading my posts anymore, please avoid mentioning them and what YOU THINK that I am saying.

If you can't help talking about me, please report actual quotes (and their context since you don't like "snippets") from my posts.

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"Quit your whining about some machetes. You should have seen it coming. You don't know how to cross the street?"

JJ, that was uncalled for!

Sanuk!

Sorry KS but when I was a kid and to this very day if cats did not look right or they looked at you funny or they were in a position to trap u in a spot, you either crossed the street or turned around and walked/ran the way u came. You don't try and walk through them or let them get up on top of you.

How is a guy going to talk about how dangerous Thailand is if he does not even take basic precaustions to protect himself? I mean a couple of cats with machetes? He can't read body language? You have to be pretty damn close for a cat to pull a machete on you. The dude should have had his eyes open. We are not talking about a gun or a knife but a machete which has some length and heft to it(provided it has not been modified).

Archived