Stickman this week regarding violence .

jitagawn

Sushi...your characterization of the events surrounding suge knight's shooting are incorrect....your posts become have become more argumentative and I cannot really follow your logic...were you surprised that Suge Knight got shot the other night? You have an understanding of the 'ghetto', enough to use the cornball term 'revoke my ghetto pass' yet you don't know how it would be possible to get a gun into a nightclub, past security, at a MTV party hosted by Kayne West?

Once agin I gotta 'question the validity of the content on any post' that deals with urban America.

It would only take a nice wad of hundreds to get a gun inside this party. Big deal. Finding a shooter maybe more difficult but totally within the realm of several people who were at that party.

I never said the shooting was or was not gang related. I don't know who shot Suge Knight and I don't care.

I accept your 'revoking of my ghetto pass' -- by the way did you learn that from the Huxtables?

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
elef said:

Hi Paillote,

I can send you for walking in the night in some areas in the outskirts of Stockholm. I guarantee that your chances to pass through without being attacked are less than in similar areas in Bangkok.

elef

And that was my last contribution to this thread as I prefer discussing on a higher intellectual level.

Hej Elef!

I don't buy it. Care to mention the names of those areas? Very easy to quote some unnamed mystery place.

And no, you will not find really similar areas in Stockholm as in Bangkok. In Bangkok houses are behind high walls topped with glass and barb-wire, condominiums all have 24 hr security guards. All over the city... Then you have the slums...How common is this in Stockholm? How many real slums do you find in Stockholm? Have you even seen the slums in Bangkok?

Hmm, why do I even ask? You "prefer discussing on a higher intellectual level".

Ha en trävlig dag!

Paillote

>>>>

well her circle includes Pattaya , as you know. But i explained the point i was making already.

I also think that from where she comes from, poor, violence and exploitation is hardly something new to her, one cannot ask her to take the POV of a farang who has never been in her shoes.

>>>>

As I mentioned before I don't know your ex. But Pattaya is not the best example for any topic on or about Thailand. It's like doing a survey in Las Vegas and coming to the conclusion that gambling and lapdancing are the main attractions in the US.

Just a question, what is your ex's socioeconomic background, what's her education level, how often does she follow the news, and which are her major sources of information.

You don't have to answer, but perhaps I am in constant contact with a much larger variety of socioeconomic groups in Thailand, and make obsevations on Thai issues based on a much larger variety of sources within this country than your ex., or probably more than half of this country's population for that matter.

But Pattaya is not the best example for any topic on or about Thailand

----------------------------

I am afraid it is as good as any other. You go there many times, you can see that it has an entire thai population, that is not stuck on entertaining the sex tourists, which clearly stick in their grand majority, to beach Rd and 2nd RD.

the construction is going full speed, in and outside of it.

She also has family in Laem Chabang, which she visits every week, BTW.

It's an opinion, but i never bought that Pattaya was outside of thailand. Tons of thais go there, you do quite often on the week-end. The incidents of violence are going exponential when a festival takes place, and that is not farang tourist coming then.tens of Thousand of youth from BKK, Chonburi and else.

I read a few years ago, development in and around Pattaya was the most frantic of any place in Thailand, outside of BKK. At that rythm, the city and agglomeration would become only second to BKK. That may not be true, I have no idea, but surely there was a pointer there.

Just a question, what is your ex's socioeconomic background.....

-----------------------------

What was my grandma's socio economic B and education? I mean, do you think that only super-educated people can have a sense of what's going around them? It could be that you should be the only one who should talk, then, here, with such credentials. Not that it would be a bad idea. :)

You have worked with people in villages, you said, I think you learnt as much from them as they learnt from you. I do not think you lived there as an arrogant "know better" educated farang. Since we met, you certainly did not strike me as such.

I think from all the socio-economic stratas you met, and especially the less educated ones, you have learnt to interpretate what they said to you. it may not have come in straightforward, opinionated language, some may have spoken shily, demurely, took time to open up to you, and not defer to a higher authority to express themselves.

Still, you did not think right out that when they merely said yes or no, that was the end of what they had to say. And you did not try to tower over and smother them with your education and knowledge. I actually bet you are a good listener.

What does it do to us that she thinks from her own reality. She is like many thais at that Maybe she meant she is happy now, she had just seen her daughter, everyone was happy to see her, the only bad news were the drought that put everyone out of the fields. maybe she meant it, but not with the stubborness sides have on evry discussion on NP.

Surely, you know that thais are more than often fixed on their own reality, unlike us farangs who have something to say about evrything. Your own reality is such, that you will never be affected by violence most likely. Still, you bother to know about the world outside your own reality, I do too, but thais can be very different, they may think it's more violent, or same, but probably that's outside of them, they are rarely going to go on and on, arguing with the ones who disagree with them. they probably will agree just to get out of it. In the end, what will matter, when we are dead, the reality we lived in, or the stats about more violence?

We'd be really mistaken to think that what they say is what they mean. It is not a trump card, there are tons of expressions showing that they have to be on the cautious side, in that society, not to go too much out of one's base, lest you're amongst your very closed circle, and even then.

We joke about the zillion smiles, but there is truth behind that. Again, not of hypocrisy, but keeping the middle way.

Ah, you know all that, i don't wish to bore you.....

PS: You met her by the way. She always asks about evryone she met thru me. She did with you too. I told her how you had been quite busy, with certain guests of your country.

Hi,

Pattaya is a holiday destination. Just as much for Thais as foreign tourists as you correctly pointed out. But Pattaya is as such very different from other towns in Thailand, as its population is largely involved in servicing the tourists (and I am not talking about the BG's, but services in general).

The average income in Pattaya is much higher than that of most other towns (except perhaps Bangkok and some other popular tourist destination). Pattaya is therefore IMO not a good example to extrapolate from. Neither would be Phuket, Koh Samui.

>>>>What was my grandma's socio economic B and education? I mean, do you think that only super-educated people can have a sense of what's going around them? It could be that you should be the only one who should talk, then, here, with such credentials. Not that it would be a bad idea.>>>>>

This is misinterpreting my question. Whatever the socioeconomic background of any Thai will reflect in the opinion of that Thai. Thais live in close circles within their own socioeconomic background, be it HiSo, LoSo or otherSo.

My point was that I move within many different socioeocnoic circles, which allows me to learn from each of them and form a (hopefully) more balanced opinion.

buddha said:

Sushi...your characterization of the events surrounding suge knight's shooting are incorrect....your posts become have become more argumentative and I cannot really follow your logic...were you surprised that Suge Knight got shot the other night? You have an understanding of the 'ghetto', enough to use the cornball term 'revoke my ghetto pass' yet you don't know how it would be possible to get a gun into a nightclub, past security, at a MTV party hosted by Kayne West?

Once agin I gotta 'question the validity of the content on any post' that deals with urban America.

It would only take a nice wad of hundreds to get a gun inside this party. Big deal. Finding a shooter maybe more difficult but totally within the realm of several people who were at that party.

I never said the shooting was or was not gang related. I don't know who shot Suge Knight and I don't care.

I accept your 'revoking of my ghetto pass' -- by the way did you learn that from the Huxtables?

Dude give your little sister back her Jay-Z album and cancel your subscription to Vibe magazine. You sound silly. You have te whole murder attempt all figured out don't you? Sounds to me like you are a regualr Columbo.

Was I surprised? No I am not surprised when I hear of anyone getting shot but I know enough to know that cats don't get shot at parties everyday that are attended by serious celebrities, regardless of their background. I have been to a couple of regular non-affiliated parties similar to that with not even 10% of that type of guest list and security is tight! Sorry but you are full of crap if you think a couple of hundred bucks will let you get a gun into an event like that.

BTW- Suge was not as real of a "gangsta" as you think he was. The cat just liked to strong arm people and he surounded himself with a lot of former gangstas and liked to be affiliated with them because it gave him some street cred. H e also like to throw his money around and act like the godfather even though he wasn't. When he was in prison suppossedly he bough himself protection. If you lived in LA you might have learned that about Suge. Hanging Vanilla Ice off of a balcony does not make u a gangsta. There are some serious gangstas in the business that would put Suge to shame and they don't even get shot at. You ever hear that "real bad boys move in silence"? Real gangstas use the industry to launder money or as a front for other illicit businesses.

If people really wanted him dead and he was really the hardcore gangsta that you painted him he would have been dead already and it more than likely would have happend when he was in prison, driving home in his car, stopping at the 7-11 or at his office in LA not at a MTV party. You are really talking like an amateur that gets all of his information out of USA Today.

If I am wrong so be it because I can really give 2 shits about someone attempting to take out Suge although you seem too. You have not said a damn word so far that even remotely sounds like you have a clue about as you so aptly put it "urban america".

Nuff said about this topic. Next time get an education before u come to me with this sort of nonsense.

Guest lazyphil

And these morons will do time, just so, but that tosspot Chelerm (or whatever his name is) thug gets away with his carry on. What a joke LOS is, told the mrs so too :cover:

Chlp said:

I don't suppose this piece of news will change anyone's mind in this debate but here it is, for the record.

Monks engaged in a machete-wielding brawl

Novices' old rivalry over girl ends in bloody market brawl

Nakhon Ratchasima _ Ten novices and three monks engaged in a machete-wielding brawl on Monday sparked by an old rivalry over a girl.

and this editorial today: The Nation

Excerpt: "...Thai society has hit a nadir in immorality in which parents shower their children with money instead of care, thieves prey on people in broad daylight, and teens indulge in reckless hedonism.

These were some of the red flags that participants raised yesterday at a seminar on eroding social norms, hosted by the National Culture Commission.

Thais tend to be greedy, ill-tempered, deceitful and aggressive, said Buddhist thinker Phra Paisal Visalo of Chaiyaphum?s Wat Pa Sukhato. ..."

Hi,

"Dude give your little sister back her Jay-Z album and cancel your subscription to Vibe magazine. "

Why do you still feel the need to get personal? This has nothing to do with giving as you are getting it, but more with arrogance and bringing a person down.

I suggest you knock it off.

Sanuk!

Archived