CIA 'running secret terror jails' (in LOS too)

kamui

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bangkoktraveler said:

It is surprising in this day and age of the number of people that believe such practices are okay.

Hi traveler,

You mean in this day and age of some of the most ruthless terrorists the world has ever experienced? With access to modern explosives, transport systems and technology they are difficult to deal with. Democratic due legal process will not work against them.

We are talking about a few hundred people (at most) out of 5 or 6 billion world population. Detention without trial and unconventional questioning techniques for so few, selected as suspects by knowledgable and responsible agencies, does not worry me at all.

Khwai

Sorry mate, but I gotta disagree. You make exceptions for them, then there are exceptions for these guys, then these, and so on. Then the system is forever ruined. You notice that the British/IRA feud has ended with a wimper using diplomacy and the legal system. It is the same thing -- it does work.

The true test of if you believe in the system is if you think that even the most heinous evil criminal should have the same treatment as a jaywalker or litterbug. I do -- very much so. There is no other way. No one is above or beneath the system.

Regards,

SD

I agree with you SD. But we these days are the minority. I would rather see the cause being discussed more, rather than the symptom. While the media continues to drum up fear and throw the usual us versus them approach people will keep believing everything they read. Anyway I thought that it had already been decided that there was no intelligence in the CIA.

Let's see . . . now when . . .

The German army surrendered at Stalingrad. 105,000 German soldiers were taken prisioner by the Russians. At end of war only 5,000 ever returned to Germany. Where did the rest go? What happened to them?

There are over 8,000 Allied soldiers MIA (missing in action) in the Korean War. Where are these guys?

Having taken the tour to Bridge on River Quai, our good friends the Japanese . . . well . . . quite a few Allied POW's died in building this railroad/bridge.

Who cares about a few scum terrorists? Heck, all they want to do is place bombs in and blow up a few cities, ie: London, Amsterdam, Paris, Bonn, New York, Bangkok, Rome, Bali, etc. In fact, they would like nothing better than to blow up that GoGo - Beer Bar down on Soi . . . you know the one . . . the one that YOU go to all the time . . .

We are civilized, though. That is the difference between them and us.

So, what is the answer?

One thing to look at is ,,,

If the USA do not obey the rules,

They will not obey the rules,

OK , I agree that the terrorist do not follow the normal "rules" of war,

But if we torture how can we bitch about the Chinese , or Iran or Cuba if they torture ?

Just something to think about........

Well, use diplomacy in one room and torture in the other, see which one gets results first and saves the most lives.

( the old wish in one hand, shit in the other and see which one fills up first)

khwaimaisabai said:

Very noble sentiments and in moments of idealism I would agree with you. The fact is, its happening. Where we should be vigilant is if we see them (i.e. governments) moving on to "these, then these". That is the real danger of al qaeda and will mean they have won.

And I see it as just the opposite. If we comprimise the very principles that make our countries great, then THAT means that Al Qaeda has won. America is bad enough now with the "Patriot Act" and its limitations of freedom and intrusion of privacy in the guise of "security".

I say put the torturing criminals in jail to show that our principles are NOT just lip service, but something we truly hold dear.

The Geneva Convention is a bedrock of civilization!!!!!

Cheers,

SD

Archived