Apple computers...?

Old Hippie

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH - I would strongly suggest you use apple BEFORE trying Linux

Apple is dead easy to use, in the old days prior to Windows, I used to explain it as the difference between a manual and a automatic car, Apple is purely automatic, pre windows mcrocrap was manual, remember al the dos commands anyone?

Now windows is a lot easier, but you;ll still find apple easier, the reason it is the education computer of choice is that - dead easy to use, that said though, I sadly dont use it anymore, thought the interchangable between Micro Office and Apple version is now very good.

They are NOT that expensive, infact cheaper than main brands of Windows often as you need about half the ram and disc size for most prgrams

DOG

Have I got out of the wrong side of bed, I agree with mr dog on this one. Having used windoze and Mac every day at work for the past 15 years I still prefer the mac. Maybe because I'm an idiot but i find navigating XP is still more complex than OS 10.4, and why don't CD's etc still not appear on a microsoft desktop by default? For photoshop I always use a mac if possible. Take a look inside a desktop G5, it's a work of art with no wires, every unit clips in and out. Working on some PC's it can take longer to get inside the box than it can to complete a similar job on a mac.

This is starting to sound like a no brainer! Question, will the Thai keyboard i have work on a Mac? or will I need a Mac/Thai keyboard...? any trouble with the cordless devices, do I need Mac or can I switch mine over (web cam etc) with a driver change...oh fuck it, I want a Mac! Never mind the details...!

Hi OH,

I had both apple and pc some years ago. The problem was that the macintosh OS crashed all the time, so after Windows 95 2nd version came I changed to pc 100 %. Many years ago viruses just existed for macintosh as all young hackers used that environment. The last apple computer I opened (must have been before that G5) it was exactly the same cheap components (mostly made in Thailand btw) as in a pc except that the processor was different of course. Now apple has a 5 % world market share I think and mostly used in advertising agencies and printing businesses - their program now also can be found for pc so it's just tradition that they go on using apple. Most but not all pc programs can run on an apple computer.

Microsoft is now a big shareholder in apple as they need to keep apple alive to not dominate the market completely.

Linux is an pc version of unix which is used as an OS for bigger computers. Unix is not standardised but Linux is I think. I think all all windows programs can run on a pc with linux as OS. The program is free and you pay for the manual - if you need and want it. To install it try to find a person who did it already as it isn't easy.

elef

Agree with Dog.

I shifted from windows to Mac 18 months ago. Since then hardly a problem, apart from some getting used to slightly different way of doing things.

I do mainly internet, MS Office for Mac, photodatabase programmme, and Photoshop. Maybe once a month, when I overload my processor by having too many programmes or files open, it will seize up. Restart, problem solved.

No blue screen of death, no fatal crashes wiping my harddrive, no viruses so far. I travel with my Powerbook, and it gets bashed around a bit, but so far no real damage. the 17" screen is beautiful to watch. I use a LAN to network with my mrs' PC. (have had some problem so far connecting with her PC using wireless, but then I am fairly computer ignorant, I'm sure If I'd try hard enough I could work that one too.

OK, so less software. But still, at the right shops in Panthip you can get just about everything I have needed so far.

My mrs' office is all PC, and they crash very frequently. Her Windows desktop had to be stripped 4 times so far and everything reloaded again. What a pain.

Mac, the way to go IMHO

"My mrs' office is all PC, and they crash very frequently. Her Windows desktop had to be stripped 4 times so far and everything reloaded again. What a pain."

Unless they are being forced to use outdated PCs and operating systems I'd say the blame lies with whoever is in charge of the network. There are enterprises running hundreds of PCs and I doubt they'd continue to if the problems at you wife's office were common.

Archived