Ozzy bloke hanged

Hi,

Sorry, Dooley110, but that argument holds no ground. All of the nastiness you mentioned above could (and does) happen through alcohol abuse as well, and problably more importantly there are many, many people who can resist alcohol addiction. So, why would those get addicted to drugs instead?

Soft drugs in Holland are legal and as a result there is virtually no crime associated with it. A much better solution than prosecuting it.

BTW, the fact that organized crime does not want drugs to be legalized should tell you something.

Sanuk!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would he want to see them become addicts, drop out of school, abuse him and his wife? Would he want to see his children finally leave home and live with a group of their addict friends, share needles and have communal sex?

Whew - its just as well none of that shit happens *now*, isnt it ? Dude, lets just face the simple fact that there will be fuckups no matter what the law is - filling the courtrooms/jails/cemeteries with the current set of addicts really hasnt solved anything. If your son or daughter was an alcoholic, I'm sure that you could seek professional help without risking the same stigma/criminality we currently allocate to addicts, and the community would applaud your efforts.

Many of the people who oppose any suggestion of decriminalising certain drugs are those who have had the most horrendous experiences, and I'm sure that it is unconscionable from their side of the fence. Prohibition didnt work in the US, and the drug war certainly isnt working now - its time to look at other options. Lets put the billions spent on enforcement, incarceration and victim support back into the communities with the highest abuse rates. Its a Utopian vision, no question, but I cant see any sign that the current system has done anything to address the root cause of the problem.

"THE PRESS WERE CALLING 4 A MINUTES SILENCE "

I wonder if the same press hold regular 4 minute silences for the true victims of drug abuse - I doubt it. Sure people have choices - but many that slip into the addiction are not in a position to choose so easily and end up dead because greedy peddlars cut the stuff with toxic additives.

Tas.

gobbledonk said: but I cant see any sign that the current system has done anything to address the root cause of the problem.

Just curious, but under the system employed in Singapore, does anybody know the rate of drug abuse in that country? (I read that the murder rate is very very low compared to almost all countries and about 99% involving things like lover's triangles or family "squabbles".)

HH

"Were there no figures for the US and Brazil?"

Yes there were for most countries - I just put in Columbia as it was the highest - and what an extreme! Also curious that UK and Sing are about the same - something I have read somewhere else.

Japan (or Tokyo as quoted) came out lowest for most crimes.

Tas

Tasman said:

Japan (or Tokyo as quoted) came out lowest for most crimes.

Tas

Years ago (I don't know about now), Japan sentenced "possessors" of drugs--even "personal use" quantities-- to 20 years in prison. It was a FULL 20 years. No time taken off for "good behavior". Most doctors would go through their full medical internships and never see a case of drug overdose.

HH

Archived