Kiwi Murdered in Pattaya - Disturbing Story

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update

Whilst I cannot go into too much detail, the likley outcome of this is that the family of the deceased will return to New Zealand and the girl will have the charges dropped. Whether the police pursue the real culprits to the boundaries of the law is uncertain. She is out on bail.

The girl confessed. Or the MIB fabricated her confession. And the moto driver's confession.

Regardless, why would she walk? The family (and NZ media) might not let it rest so easily. Which motivates TAT to demand a conviction.

Well she does have 500,000 baht to spend...

Many of the people who visit places such as Pattaya and Bangkok are going to use this site for information rather the New York Times, Wall Street Journal or South China Morning Post (English language newspaper in Hong Kong). I don't know the official statistics, but the number of people who get their information via the internet as opposed to the print media is increasing all of the time.

More important, when I am planning a weekend getaway, I rarely turn to the newspaper. I look at sites like this that can give me more detailed and current information than I can't find in a local newspaper. And when I am travelling with my male ex-pat friends from Hong Kong for a long weekend, we all look at sites like this for obivous reasons. You aren't going to find much information on Bangkok closing times in the South China Morning Post.

Before we looked, with dismay, at reports about midnight closing times, go go girls dressed like grannies and police raids with mandatory urine tests at fairly mainstream bars. That fotunately seems to have gone away.

But now we are reading about visitors getting murdered on a regular basis. If you skim the News section, you get the impression that a visitor is murdered every day. That is probably not true (I hope not), but those reports and these threads don't exactly create a favorable impression of Thailand.

They will influence our travel plans. Thailand has competition, but the one thing I always thought it had going for it was user-friendly go go bars and that it was much safer than the Philippines or even China. But now I read that even the Chinese are complaining about safety in Thailand. Although the relaxed closing times and policies on showing are not reported in the local papers here, you do occasionally see stories about murdered visitors in Thailand.

I am not an expert, but my impression, as someone who lives in the region and visits places like Thailand a few times a year (if I can), is that Thailand is much more dangerous than I thought. Probably not as dangerous as the Phiippines, but not as safe as I thought, and that is not exactly a positive factor for Thailand.

We balance a variety of factors in a very subjective manner when trying to decide where to go. Some attach greater importance to the fact that they speak English in the Philippines or that it easier when travelling to the PRC on business to add a bit of sanuk. If Thailand is getting more dangerous, it makes Thailand less attractive and we are certainly getting that impression. There is no way to quantify this and I don't think we'll stop going; but it will make Thailand a less attractive option when we have debate about where to go on our next trip, and we'll go to Thailand less often. And most of our information for these debates about where to go next will be based on internet reports in sites such as this.

torrenova said:

Update

Whilst I cannot go into too much detail, the likley outcome of this is that the family of the deceased will return to New Zealand and the girl will have the charges dropped. Whether the police pursue the real culprits to the boundaries of the law is uncertain. She is out on bail.

If what you say is true, then it looks like the family must have put significant pressure on the authorities to find the culprits.

Archived