Kiwi Murdered in Pattaya - Disturbing Story

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gadfly1 said:

Here is my take. The thread started as a reasonably intelligent discussion about the murder of a Farang and whether Thailand in general is more dangerous than visitors believe. We now see childish rants where other posters are accused of ?scream[ing] like little girls? for even having this discussion. Apparently we are not supposed to even discuss the subject.

To really understand what is going on and why this thread has been hijacked, you need to look at what happened in an earlier discussion on violence in Thailand. Suadum got extremely agitated because we were even discussing the subject, argued at length that Thailand is hardly violent at all, and made the starting claim that the US is much much more violent Thailand, claiming there is more criminal violence in the US than in Thailand ?by any metric.?

Suadum claimed he knew the facts, anyone who disagreed with him did not know squat and that we were greatly exaggerating the level of violence in Thailand because the US has much more violent crime than Thailand ?by any metric?. He figured if he made it personal, put his entire credibility behind this claim, and shouted it loud enough, no one would dare challenge him.

Unfortunately for suadum information on this subject is readily available on the internet. And it was easy to prove that suadum?s claim that the US more violence than Thailand ?by any metric? ? like so many other things we hear ? was a load of crap.

Now, because that line of argument proved to be an embarrassment to suadum, he calls anyone who disagrees with him or even discusses violence in Thailand ?whiny little girls.? Unable to support his position on the merits, we see the discussion dragged down to this level. The new thread (?I?m sick of whiners?) is part of this deterioration.

And then, of course, the peacocks strut in, using this as an opportunity to posture and pose in some vain effort to prove their street smarts (to a bunch guys in cyberspace ? why?) Even though jjsushi has only been to Pattaya ?maybe 4 times?, he has already got it all figured out. When you have street smarts, facts don?t matter; you don?t even need to know what you are talking about. Just talk tough, and never mind that this discussion involves more than Pattaya; it is really about all of Thailand.

And when you?re earlier claims have proven to be bull shit, it is easier and safer to simply scream ?get the fuck out!? than intelligently discuss the issue. If you discuss the matter intelligently, someone might call you when make up facts out of thin air, and, as suadum has learned, that is embarrassing.

Now notice who is where in this debate. The ones who strut, shout ?get the fuck out?, and make claims that are demonstrably false, are visitors or have only been here a short time. The posters that we all know have been her for quite a long time are at odds with this group of poseurs. They know this is a serious issue for all of Thailand, and that neither Thailand nor its residents benefit when this subject is swept under the table with shouts of ?get the fuck out.? Perhaps we should ask the poseurs to leave; their certainly doing more harm than good with their childish rants and posturing.

I think your post sums up things quite nicely.

Interesting how a certain poster felt the need to go and create a new post and some of the ususal suspects couldn't help but try and stir the pot a little further.

Zorro said:

Here we go again.

"The same old excuses for violent crime in Thailand are rehashed yet again."

Not Making excuses...

"...It is not as bad as some US ghettoes....how many people do you know who live or go to theseghettoes...?"

QUite a few, I grew up in one. A few friends from high school still own businesses there. I also like to hang out in a donut shop on the "ho stroll" lots of interesting poeple in and out, and passing by. As I said, sleaze DOES appeal to me...

"...It is not as bad as the ghettoes of Rio....well that is comforting

Pattaya is a cesspool and you should expect to be murdered, mugged or otherwise scammed, robbed or bashed because this is the price you pay for cheap sex.......no street smarts, cluessless low life farang etc..."

Pattaya is a cesspool for sure, and it is full of lower end sex tourists in my opinion. A lot of guys their were/are dodgy at best in their own countries...I have seen quite a few guys there make their own misery. Some of it justified, some it not...some of it the fault of being a clueles jerk trying to be a street smart tough guy in a place they know nothing about/don't belong... That is one reason why I really don't like it that much. It seems to have gotton worse in recent years. I think we may agree on that last sentence.

The thing is as we have discussed before Pattaya and indeed let's not preclude all of Thailand here has seen an upsurge of violence in the past few years and Pattaya has always been sleazy yet has not had the number of incidents it has now.

Is it moaning to discuss these issues or be concerned about them?

Should we discuss anything at all?

Should we be concerned about anything at all?

Or should we just accept everything that happens around us with a shrug and a mai pen rai?

WHy not accept it, and know it? That's what Thais do...and we can't change it...

I have said before, the violence is NOT justified in many cases.

I can only go by what I have seen. But, if you stick your hand in a hungry tiger's cage, and it gets bitten off, is it necessarily the tiger's fault? Yeah, I'd show some sympathy, but your hand didn't belong there, doing that... now if you go and get the second hand bitten off a month later, who's fault is it...? and I'd probably have no sympathy for you.

I have no ideas what happened with this guy, and my heart goes out to his family . It does seem a story we have heard many times before. "Buyer beware " does ring true in any relationship...you need to know who/what you are really getting involved with.

I can't speak for other posters but I was responding to the OP. Correct me if I'm wrong but the thread started with you reposting an anonymous letter to Stickman telling us what a great guy Steve was whilst plugging a gym. You suggested we should all be disturbed. You concluded with a plea for more attention from the international media on the problems in Pattaya.

All I can do is repeat that I don't find Steve's case any more disturbing than many similar cases and I don't think the international press gives, or will ever give, a damn about the problems in Pattaya. Telling people how dangerous it can be won't deter the riff-raff. It might even attract more. Some people love to try their luck.

I personally still like Pattaya. It's the only place I know where that kind of freedom still exists. But the freedom is abused of course. And I'm getting too old to fight with katoys, yobs and muggers so I probably won't be going there much anymore. I do not expect this news to send major tremors through the local economy.

Hi!

I'm slightly surprised at this post from your post as you not to long ago suggested that we met up for a beer. Obviously you weren't serious as I am one of the Euro trash that you are ranting about. I suggest that you stay away from Pattaya and restrict yourself to consort with the dreggs in Bangkok which you obviously prefer. I used to spend time in Bangkok but nowadays I restrict myself to a couple days for shopping. The reason being that I have grown weary of the people I meet there.

regards

ALHOLK

I don't think that anyone said ALL Europeans going to Pattaya were European Trash (or American trash for that matter). I'd be happy to have a beer with you, in Chiang Mai, starting in October. I'll move from C.M. when "suicides" occur with the frequency as they occur in Pattaya. I like Pattaya, as a tourist but couldn't see myself living there. Just my personal preference, so those that swear by Pattaya, don't take it personally.

Hi!

I haven't been to Chian Mai since 1989. Although it is a very nice city I still prefer to spend my vacation at a beach resort. I will be in Pattaya in july and if you are in the vicinity I wouldn't mind meeting up for a beer.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived