New Zealander stabbed to death

limbo

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zorro,

I reread your post and i wiill agree with you on the scenario that you presented: you are driving on a rainy night. Some guy driving too fast crosses over the center line and smashes into you and you are killed. I agree with you; you did nothing to contribute to this event but i also would put this event under the uncontolled category. It is no different than the aussie girl or i believe bkktraveller presented about a terror attack on 9/11. Wrong place wrong time but i will say these are probability statistics for bad outcomes for driving a car, getting on a plane, whatever we do in life...

My whole point of posting is that and tell me you agree or disagree with thses three statements:

1. For every behavior, these is a risk associated with the consequesnce of that single action ranging from low to high, acceptable to unacceptable, etc. It gets more complex as one adds a series of behaviors and the risk factor will vary...

2. There are controllable behaviors where there is a direct or indirect bearing on the consequence or there are uncontrolaable behaviors where we put ourselves in our people's hands (natural disasters, transportation accidents, random shootings, etc)..

3. Every case is different but can be evaluated in terms of controllable or uncontrollable consequences of contribution of various degrees...

Let me give you a personal experience where i would consider myself contributing to my own demise...

I play golf twice a week. I know there is a statistic that X number of golfers will be struck by lightning every year and die..

Well, i like golf so much that i am willing to accept the probability or the risk that i will make it through each round. But, knowing there is a risk which i consider small (subjective), I would consider myself to have contributued to my own demise. I knew the risks and i have elected to play these odds...

The classic example is those who wear motorcyle helmets and those who do not. Those who choose not to wear approved helmets have a significant greater risk of brain injury than those who do choose to wear helmets even if the accident wasn't their fault. Those by choice contributed to their demise by not wearing a helmet, a controllable behavior as well as there is a statistic that so many will die even with appoved helmets; the behavior of riding a motorcylce itself becomes the at risk behavior....

I just believe based on what we have read (and there isn't alot known) that the NZ lad had choices during these six hours (beleive me that is a long time) to prevent what took place. It just isn'the same had he been walking down the street and some drunk driver wipes him out or some unknown guy runs by and stabs him....

CB

Guest lazyphil

its rather like on june 16th i hurry down to my local river on the opening day of the season, plonked my gear down and set up, only later on in the day i looked up and noticed power cables, not good news since i'd being waving my carbon fibre rod feet away from them and electric can arc in damp weather, a bloody hassle moving everything bar the kitchen sink 300 feet up river ::

CB

Yes we all take a risk getting out of bed everyday.

I believe that even staying indoors won't protect your from death or injury as there are an alarming number of injuries and deaths each year in the home.

It is probably prudent not to go to bars at night in red light areas where inevitably there are incidents.

Nonetheless this doesn't reduce the culpability of the perpertrators of crimes. ie the killer is somewhat less culpable because he killed the person in a red light district as everyone knows red light districts are inherently dangerous.

Everything we do in life necessitates some sort of risk....it is very good in historical hindsight to try and second guess what happened or what the guy should or shouldn't have done...the point here is that another act of violence has been committed in LOS in what seems to be an ever increasing spiral of such incidents.

Zorro,

I guess we can't even agree as to what the actual issue we were debating. Oh well...

But i will say thank God for people like Mekong, SD, ND and the like-minded thinkers because they can at least understand what the field of "risk" and "risk assessment/management" is all about...

The whole point was not doing after-incident investigation, but what people do or don't do before incidents that matter.

Professionals in medicine, epidemiology, structural engineering, radiation safety, environmental risk assessors, etc - what separates them and make them great from their average counterparts is not their competency but by the learned skills of foresight, anticipation and recognition...

The public benefits from their intuition even though the public might be ignorant on why things happen or don't happen. That is why so many respond with answers of "fate" or "unlucky" or "shit happens"....

Cross,

Thanks, at least it tells me that you are following along...but no "sneezing" as you might spread you 500,000 potentially infectious droplets into my breathing zone....

Other dissenters,

I am okay with the expression, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink..." I have always liked that one because one can lead but the ultimate and final responsibility/accountability rests with one's own actions....

CB

Gentleman:

Can someone explain why the police have elected to not apprehend the thai guy?

IMO: Maybe the police don't give a shit about a stupid english teacher who in their view brought about his own demise by fucking around with a young thai girl. And having the audacity to claim priority over her when a thai guy thought it was his turn. And the current political crisis means that TAT is not in a position or is too distracted to lean on the MiB. Maintaining tourist relations is not a priority.

So maybe the thai guy will have nothing to worry about?

Or maybe the Thai police can't be arsed to do anything except file away reports unless somebody big leans on them. e.g. There has been a nasty situation going on in my compound between the Thais for some time now. The police come over, look, say one side has definitely broken the law -- then write it up and do nothing. As a result, that side does something else, which the cops again tel them not to do ... and nothing happens. No Farangs involved in this either, just Thais.

Takes somebody high up to boot the cops into action. Remember how many days it took to identify, catch, try and convict the perps who raped the tourist at Samui? Think maybe it happened because Thaksin was embarrassed by the international publicity and personally phoned the police down there to end it quickly??

p.s. I hope nobody on this board is stupid enough to go "fucking around with a young Thai girl" and thus bring on his well deserved demise by not letting every Thai butthole who wants to have a go at her!

::

Archived