1001 ways to con a farang

speakeasy-thai

... and you sound like someone who gives a wai to a soi dog while wearing a yellow shirt. :neener:

what's wrong with honoring the king?

Farangs can't do that? Is it funny? Is it stupid? I don't get it? Fill me in please!

today is monday btw!

it's simple. thais are brainwashed to be stupid robots from birth. when farangs ape their behavior, what's their excuse??

preahko

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:) Funny this oddly comes to mind...but I went into Bookazine on Sukhumvit, near Soi 3. Was looking at all the cook books. Some yutz young guy says something to the girl there, both giggle, make a face, and he asks what I am looking for.

I asked if they had any Cambodian cook books. He gives me some dip shit look, says something to the girl, both make another face an gesture as if pointing to me.

He says "...this is Thailand, why would we have a Cambodian book?" I reply "You have French cookbooks, Japanese, Italian, Chinese, Burmese, Indonesian etc...so I thought I'd ask if you have a Cambodian cookbook, as that is what I am looking for..." This resulted in puzzled looks from both of them...wonder if it ever dawned on them?

But as you say programmed from birth to just go along, "...it isn't here so it doesn't or should exist...and you are stupid to ask for it..." type logic, as that is how it has always been...there was a point here, but I forget what it is...

:) Funny this oddly comes to mind...but I went into Bookazine on Sukhumvit, near Soi 3. Was looking at all the cook books. Some yutz young guy says something to the girl there, both giggle, make a face, and he asks what I am looking for.

I asked if they had any Cambodian cook books. He gives me some dip shit look, says something to the girl, both make another face an gesture as if pointing to me.

He says "...this is Thailand, why would we have a Cambodian book?" I reply "You have French cookbooks, Japanese, Italian, Chinese, Burmese, Indonesian etc...so I thought I'd ask if you have a Cambodian cookbook, as that is what I am looking for..." This resulted in puzzled looks from both of them...wonder if it ever dawned on them?

But as you say programmed from birth to just go along, "...it isn't here so it doesn't or should exist...and you are stupid to ask for it..." type logic, as that is how it has always been...there was a point here, but I forget what it is...

that is a funny one, and yeah, typical. but there's more going on in this specific case than just "we don't have it because nobody's ever thought of having it"...

basically the thais have two ways of looking at cambodians: 1) looking down on them as inferior savages

2) being scared of their black magic

pretty common, as far as how minority groups (or poor neighbors) are looked at in many cultures...

so anyway, this means there's a double reason they wouldn't have any use for a cambodian cookbook: 1) who would want to eat barbarian food? and 2) they probably put witchcraft into their food anyway

...heheh

preahko

No no, I wasn't asking for a french cookbook, I was mearly pointing out they had them. It was a Cambodian book I was after, please re-read!

Doesn't mattter if you were asking for the official christain right cookbook. Once you mentioned french cook book to them (and they had a look at your revealing pink dress), they had you figured out :nono:

:neener:

:)

He says "...this is Thailand, why would we have a Cambodian book?" I reply "You have French cookbooks, Japanese, Italian, Chinese, Burmese, Indonesian etc...so I thought I'd ask if you have a Cambodian cookbook, as that is what I am looking for..." This resulted in puzzled looks from both of them...wonder if it ever dawned on them?...

:banghead::dunno::)

funny

I like quite a few of the Khmer dishes I have had, many different from Thai dishes. The ones that were similar to Thai dishes, were seasoned differently, using mint instead of Chillies for example...you are a vegan anyway, so you pretty much eat what, leaves and grass wherever, so little difference in the variety... :)

Archived