Ramifications of the current coup d'e tat in BKK ??

potica69

I'll be heading back to LOS in a few weeks. Bought my tickets two weeks ago and I'm taking some friends with me for their first trip to Thailand. They were concerned by the coup news but I told them this is actually good news for us. Less tourists, especially Japanese who like to throw money around like its going out of style. Everyone will be happy to see us and our money when we arrive. Hopefully Thai Baht weakens a bit as well. Came over 4 weeks after the tsunami last year. What is it with me buying tickets that causes bad things to happen? Anyway, I spent less and had more fun than any previous trip to Phuket. People there were just so happy to see a tourist with money to spend. If they can just do away with the 2am bar closing and being hardassed about nudity in the gogo's now that Thaksin is gone I'll be even happier. I miss the good (bad?) old days.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have to agree.

i was in Patong 6 Months after the Tsunami and the locals were grateful that people were still visiting.

could i ever stay away......... :yikes:

so far concerning the Coup i don't see much which affects the tourist.

and many Thai's don't seem that bothered either............business as usual.

Indeed, the whole even was a damp squib! I don't think tourism is going to be effected much much or the baht for that matter. Business as usual.

Anyone been to SC/Nana/the pong etc to see if anythings different? I'm off to RCA on sunday and might have a look at SC briefly

I think the same is true now. I got a few calls from BGs and had an early evening 'meeting' with one on Thursday and they are all concerned about one thing - how will this affect their trade?

This is low season already, and BGs are only slightly more rational than barowners when it comes to this sort of thing, so of course they attribute the paucity of punters to Tuesday night's events. The girls are all claiming there are no customers, but I haven't been out late since the big event so I don't know whether this is imagined or real.

Anyone out last night (Friday) and, if so, any news to report on the bars? I will find out in a few hours in any event, but I am curious to hear before I go out what is happening now.

I "think" it's Sunday today....lol

O.K. Thursday night left the Bar and crawled upstairs @ 5 am.....things kicked on til 7.30 I'm told

Early one Friday night....I think it was about 3am

Last night 1.30ish....I must be getting old can't hack the pace...555....well actually had had enough drinking and found better things to do...

Don't know about Cowboy or Nana...haven't been there....but everything seems relatively normal to me.

Cheers DS

The girls were bitching last high season that there were no customers...

I mentioned this is in another thread I started in the nightlife forum reporting on post coup nightlife, but I will repeat it here: if a BG has not yet been barfined, from her perspective there are not enough customers in the bar that night. I really think this is how BGs see things.

The girls were bitching last high season that there were no customers...

I mentioned this is in another thread I started in the nightlife forum reporting on post coup nightlife, but I will repeat it here: if a BG has not yet been barfined, from her perspective there are not enough customers in the bar that night. I really think this is how BGs see things.

On the other hand..i have been in the bars at closing time and still many gals left...they then walk out and line up for the last grab before they head off home..... :p

Archived