Appropriate response to a bar girl's

wonderlust

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The numbers....my points refer to wai's to a bargirl or similar situation. The thread is titled specifically. Business wai's perhaps require more decorum, as do other meetings. I will wai my future in laws this evening with great care and respect.

But when out at a bar....a p4p bar...decorum and class systems can fuck all.

OH,

A nod will usually do it, especially if you are on holiday meeting people. I say this regardless of whether you've just met a big kahuna, your bride's dad, or what have ya :D

Odds are they will not be put off. The other option which is a safe bet is sticking your right hand out --- this also absolves people who don't want to get into Thai class politics, as well.

Most Thai people will welcome and take up a handshake, which is also a way of saying "I'm Western" and not look like a twat all in one fell swoop :up:

These are pretty safe guidelines, as a visitor.

Now, the addendum. Forget everything I said if you are doing business with Thais. This even includes some international ones educated abroad, local ones, and especially government officials. It is a WHOLE WHOLE WHOLE different story.

Wai properly :bow: Especially if you are selling something to the person in question or doing business. In that case you better be past Thai Customs 101 and treat them properly and be ultra aware of clothes, class structures, and how deep the wai goes among other things.

Cheers,

the_numbers

Now, the addendum. Forget everything I said if you are doing business with Thais. This even includes some international ones educated abroad, local ones, and especially government officials. It is a WHOLE WHOLE WHOLE different story.

I had some meetings with some very hi-so Thai-Chinese earlier this year and there was not issue with a "wai" as they went straight to the hand shake.

Guess I lucked out...on that...but didn't get the project :(

i was also a little worried about meeting my gal's Father.

i quizzed her about the proper procedure and thought i had it sussed.

but i didn't have to worry,when i met him he immediately stretched out his hand wanting to shake my hand.

a bit embarrassing for me though as i had my hands in the Wai position.........we both laughed at our actions and the ice was broken.

I would never wai in a Gogo. they can wai me. I just nod and walk on.

TO OH;

depening what kind of report: If I neded his help, and he was helpfull, yes I would. To show my respect and appreciation.

If I was taken in for lets say a trffic accident. and I am not treaten correctly, I Would not make fuss about wai-ing. just keep calm ...

I have heard that shaking hands developed as a way of showing somebody you aren't holding a weapon. Likewise bowing is a form of exposing the neck to a superior.

I also heard, can't remember where, that 'pom' comes from an old Thai expression meaning 'my hair (or kwan) to your feet'. So waiing is actually a form of debasement originally. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Actually I was just talking to my wife about this recently. She says there is nothing wrong with wai-ing waitstaff and such.

100% correct!

Every thai person would appreciate it as long as you don't use it to make fun about them! We shake hands they do that! It is the way in Thailand to say hello or to say thank you. So many farangs adapt traditions like Sin Sot or taking care of families they have never met but when it comes to the basics they feel they are too good to "bow"!

The only one who is making a fool out of his self is the person who thinks it would be a low thing to do!

Hi,

"The problem with the above advice is that it portrays all farangs in an ignorant and permanent tourist role never giving them the chance to escape and function in a limited capacity."

Fully agree. While the guy has some good advice and explanations the tone of the article is seriously nasty.

If I go upcountry I wai my wife's older family members, just as all the younger ones wai me.

Sanuk!

Thanks Saunk

IMHO

I get sick of guys pissing down on us lowly sex tourist Farangs acting like we are ALL stupid and insensitive to Thai culture. A large percentage of the guys on these boards are, as he called us Farang sex tourist.

So here a wai for you piss-off

S1

Archived